PDA

View Full Version : Power of the queen....

Jim Underwood
05-24-2009, 2:24 PM
First Bottle Stopper.

Figured I should cash in on a popular item, so got some stainless stopper inserts and started with this.

It wasn't meant to be a Chess piece looking thing, it just turned out that way.:cool:

Osage Orange with a Rule Niles stopper.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2009, 2:33 PM
Looks pretty good to me! Nice and clean detail work! Watch out - these things are quick and easy and can become addicting!

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2009, 8:49 PM
Great looking stopper Jim. Nice detail.

Richard Madison
05-25-2009, 12:04 AM
Looks good to me Jim. And has the right kind of stopper.

John W Dixon
05-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Jim, looks real nice. That osage orange is pretty. How did you turn the stopper? Did you mount the blank in a chuck? The reason I ask is I have seen a bottle stopper mandrel that is the size of the top of the cone stopper. Have been thinking about ordering one but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

John

Aaron Wingert
05-25-2009, 12:25 AM
As a recent stopper-making addict, I can attest that you're on yet another slippery slope of the turning vortex. Stoppers are fun and easy and I definitely like the shape you went with.

Billy Tallant
05-25-2009, 3:25 AM
Great looking stopper. I like the unique design...

Jim Underwood
05-25-2009, 9:25 AM
I chucked the square stopper blank in a chuck with the top end toward the head stock. Then I roughed it round, and faced off the bottom. Putting a jacobs chuck with appropriate sized drill in the tailstock, ( I think it was a 17/64?) I then drilled a hole for the bolt. Then I removed it from the chuck and turned the stopper by chucking a 5/16 bolt (sans head) in a small jawed chuck, and mounting the blank on that. Once done, I re-drilled the hole to fit the stopper tenon.

If I had it to do over, I would have mounted the bolt into a piece of wood and made my own screw chuck. The next one will be done that way. My small jaws weren't small enough, so I had to jam two nuts together on the bolt, and mount those in the chuck. It wasn't quite centered and you may be able to see that in the photo...

Joshua Dinerstein
05-25-2009, 2:00 PM
Great work. That is a fabulous design!

Joshua

Dave Halter
05-25-2009, 5:10 PM
Looks great. So when does the rest of the set get completed? Rook, pawn, bishop, etc....:D

Dave

Jim Kountz
05-25-2009, 6:14 PM
Cool idea Jim, never thought of making chessman stoppers but its a very neat concept. Now do the rest of the set!!