PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Gloat

Keith Burns
05-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I got a special "haul" of wood yesterday and can't help but gloat. Mesquite is my favorite turning wood. The large log is 14" dia. x 4' long. I am anxious to cut int the burl log in front.

alex carey
05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
nice gloat, I haven't turned any mesquite but from the pictures I've seen it's great stuff, especially if you have a burl.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Keith - congrats on the wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Marc Himes
05-24-2009, 5:50 PM
Kieth it looks like you are set for a while with some great wood. That crotch piece should be real interesting. Good luck.

Marc Himes

Rich Souchek
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Best thing about mesquite is to save ALL the scaps., it makes a hot but very good BBQ wood. Can look real good too.
Rich S.

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Keith great gloat. Mesquite is my favorite wood next to walnut. That should make some pretty turnings.

Brian McInturff
05-24-2009, 11:47 PM
Keith,
When I first saw the pic, prior to reading I thought the "Good Wood Fairy" must've dropped by your house:D. Seeing the wood setting on the front porch in front of the door. Nice haul!! Mesquite is one of the best woods to work that's for sure. I had a few pieces a couple years ago and made several small HF's for Christmas presents. My sister ask me all the time to make her another one. I've got a couple pieces still stashed somewhere in the shop. I'm anxious to see what turns up inside that burl you have too. I've never seen mesquite burl except after it's turned. Snap a pic when you cut it please.