PDA

View Full Version : Tool gloat

Jon Behnke
05-23-2009, 8:59 PM
I've been turning the last year and a half on my Jet 1220 and of course been thinking about a bigger lathe. Ran across this Nova 3000 on Craigslist, bought it from a retired gentleman who is moving and has some back issues so he decided it was time to sell. The lathe originally was owned by a local turning club who updated the motor to a DC drive Baldor motor with a Leason controller so it has variable speed with forward and reverse. It came with a Grizzly chuck and some Delta turning tools, he also let me go through his wood pile which had some cherry, apple and plum. Left with my truck full.
First piece turned on the lathe, hickory natural edge vase, hollowing hickory is no fun. First time with this style piece, think maybe the foot is too small, have to look at it for a while.

George Guadiane
05-23-2009, 9:02 PM
Great Gloat and very nice vase!

alex carey
05-23-2009, 9:23 PM
Nice lathe, I like the mod, nice turning also, I like the shape, was it dry wood or is cracking a concern?

Bernie Weishapl
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Great gloat and very nice vase.

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Congrats on your new lathe Jon! Good looking vase!

Don Eddard
05-24-2009, 1:22 AM
Congrats on the lathe. Sounds like some good upgrades. And FWIW, I think the foot looks pretty good on your vase. The whole thing does, for that matter.

Steve Mawson
05-24-2009, 8:52 AM
Have to agree with all the other folks. Looks good the way it is. Wouldn't change anything.

Jon Behnke
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys for the good reviews. The wood was dry which is probably why the hollowing was tough. I turned this over a couple of days, it moved a little but not much, still mostly round.