PDA

View Full Version : Insulating shop ceiling,,info request

Doug Jones
08-14-2004, 11:24 AM
I am wanting to insulate my garage (shop) ceiling. Besides the price is there any advantages or disadvantages of blowing insulation compared to laying the pink stuff.
Any help would be appriciated, Doug

Jim Becker
08-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Blown in insulation will give you continuous coverage as long as it's done properly and that baffles are used as needed to insure that venting is maintained, etc. Frankly, I recommend this job for a pro. I spent a few years working for an insulation contractor and have seen some realy "doozers" of jobs done by folks who were not familiar with all the things necessary to consider as well as major league uneven coverage. Blown in is also only appropriate for space that will not be regularly accessed...shouldn't be used when the space will also be employed for storage.

Batts/blankets are an easy DIY project. Best coverage is achieved by using material the same thickness as the ceiling joists as a first layer and then with a second layer applied perpendicular to the first to bring things up to the total thickness necessary to achieve the desired R-value. That second layer should be unfaced material, too. And as with blown in, proper baffling at the edges of a pitched roof to insure air flow from soffet venting is required.

Obviously, blown in insulation also requires that the ceiling sheet good be installed prior to insulation. Batts can be put in prior, at least for the first layer. And watch where you feet go when you are working in the attic!