PDA

View Full Version : Milling question..

Jason White
05-23-2009, 3:03 PM
I'm building a small project similar in size to a jewelry box, and have a question about milling the small pieces for it.

I'm working with rough red oak stock, and I've rough cut and milled the pieces "close" to their final dimensions. I did this because I wanted to let the pieces acclimate to my shop a bit more before milling to final dimensions (I read someplace that this is a good idea).

A couple of the "rough milled" parts are only 13" in length. Is it safe to run a piece that short through my jointer? Also, could my cut quality suffer?

Jason

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2009, 4:43 PM
A couple of the "rough milled" parts are only 13" in length. Is it safe to run a piece that short through my jointer? Also, could my cut quality suffer?
Jason

I don't see a reason why not.

The Planer may be different. I find it's best to leave the lumber a tad long when planing and cut to length later. Either that or use a sled.

A vacuum chuck sled is the best. You won't get the problems that DBBL stick tape cause and you won't get the chatter at the beginning and end of the cut

Jason White
05-24-2009, 7:10 AM
Anybody else?

I don't see a reason why not.

The Planer may be different. I find it's best to leave the lumber a tad long when planing and cut to length later. Either that or use a sled.

A vacuum chuck sled is the best. You won't get the problems that DBBL stick tape cause and you won't get the chatter at the beginning and end of the cut

Ted Evans
05-24-2009, 7:25 AM
I run stock as short as 5-6 inches across my jointer frequently. It depends upon the gap size between the in and out beds of the jointer, and, most importantly, using a push stick that you can exert even pressure on the stock. I use a "D" shaped push stick that is about 12" long and 3/4" wide with sandpaper glued to the bottom and a catch hook on one end.

The planer depends upon the spacing of the in-feed and out-feed rollers, the minimum on my Bridgewood is 9 inches.

Glen Blanchard
05-24-2009, 9:33 AM
Jason - Small work is all I do. I run parts that size over my jointer all the time. Just use good technique and a push block that will keep your hands away from the blade and you will be fine.

Frank Drew
05-24-2009, 9:52 AM
Edge jointing short stock is pretty safe because you can hook some of your fingers over the top of the fence; face jointing, take the precautions mentioned above.

george wilson
05-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Take equal amounts off each face of the wood. That helps minimize warping.

Frank Drew
05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Good advice from George.

Paul Steiner
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
All the textbooks I teach with say 11" is the minimum for safe jointing. But I have run shorter, good push sticks help.

Rich Engelhardt
05-24-2009, 1:04 PM
Hello,
Wouldn't a hand plane be just as quick if there's only a couple of pieces?

Anthony Whitesell
05-26-2009, 8:19 AM
Check your manual. I know that the minimum length for a Delta 22-560 is 14". Others may be shorter or longer. (I wish it was shorter, 11" would be nice. FWIW, the minimum length on a Performax 16-32 is 2 1/2". There's an advantage usually overlooked when deciding whether or not to by a drum sander.