PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone working on this week end?

Andy Bardowell
05-23-2009, 2:34 PM
We had a long weekend last week and one of the guys at the Canadian Woodworking forum started a great thread that everyone loved so I’ll start one here. And Bryan@Woodstock if you are a member here as well please forgive me, I don’t know your surname to give proper credit.

If you are not traveling this Memorial day weekend and have opportunity to spend some shop time, what are you working on this weekend? Pictures would be great but not required.

Lets start it off I’m working on some solid wood painted kitchen cabinets for my sister in law’s century home, carcasses are done drawers and doors to go.

Jacob Mac
05-23-2009, 2:44 PM
I am working on a project for work today, but tomorrow I am going to start on a shop cabinet and put some pegboard up for tool storage. My goal is to get my shop organized as I let my wood for my new workbench acclimate.

Jeff Dege
05-23-2009, 2:45 PM
Yard work. Had a tree come down in a wind storm, earlier this week. It needs to be cut up, stacked, and the sticks raked up, before I can mow (and the yard badly needs mowing.)

Jay Brewer
05-23-2009, 4:31 PM
I just finished up installing a new kitchen in a customers house. Finish up the little things like the crown and install the doors tomorrow. That leaves Monday to relax :), oh and mow the yard.

Frank McKinney
05-23-2009, 5:06 PM
I've been working on completing a set of "Square Foot Gardening" boxes and helping the wife get some veggies and flowers planted. Also, put a second coat of paint on portions of a cornice for one of the bedrooms. Oh yea, gotta go back into work this evening since one of my employees isn't able to make it in to work:mad:

mike holden
05-23-2009, 7:40 PM
I am working on some end tables for our family room. I plan to try stringing for the first time, so will probably do a couple practice boards this weekend.
Mike

Lee Koepke
05-23-2009, 7:57 PM
Braves game vs Tornoto on Sunday ( provided it dont rain ) and FINALLY getting my shop back up to speed after about 8 month hiatus ....

Jamie Cowan
05-23-2009, 8:29 PM
Great idea for a thread. I'm finishing up a Shaker side table, which in and of itself isn't that big a deal, but it is my first table (other than rough looking pieces on which to make sawdust). Legs and rails are poplar, painted with GF "milk" paint (not really milk paint). Poplar was chosen because it is cheap, and the tapered legs are a new project for me--didn't want to practice on maple or cherry. The top is jatoba, because I had enough of it laying around. Hope to post a pic later this weekend when it is finished, if I can figure out how.

glenn bradley
05-23-2009, 8:45 PM
Karl normally covers this under the Weekend Doin's thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112776

Leo Graywacz
05-23-2009, 8:58 PM
I'm in the shop 60 hours a week. It is the last place I want to be on Monday. I was there today for about 4 hours. Tomorrow is burgers on the barbee, and Monday is a late day in bed and then holding my chair down with my butt.

Russ Boyd
05-23-2009, 10:05 PM
I (we) are going to have all new doors and trim including base in the living/hall area as well as the bedroom side of each door (no base there until ready for carpet). So far (as of Sat night) we have the carpet, pad, doors and trim demoed and all the doors hung (I painted all last weekend). Sunday, I hope to have all 7 doors cased both sides (plinths and rosettes) and all pertinent base run. Maybe Monday will be for whatever....like mowing the lawn. Sure will be good to be back at work.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm working on my version of Norm's Martha Washington's Candle Stand.

steve gard
05-23-2009, 10:31 PM
stripping the paint from a Shaker side chair - not original paint so don't worry

Andy Bardowell
05-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Braves game vs Tornoto on Sunday ( provided it dont rain ) and FINALLY getting my shop back up to speed after about 8 month hiatus ....

And the Jays slump continues, you had a good game there, not so good for us. I think the Bosox really exposed them, we'll see if they can avoid being swept by the Braves too. Why the 8 month layoff?

Rich Engelhardt
05-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Hello,
I plan on doing some work on the downstairs bathroom remodel.
The ceiling has been a tough go, but it's starting to come together.
Pics will be coming if it all goes as planned.

Rather than put in the regular boring (& ugly) drop ceiling, I decided to do something a bit different.

I hung a beveled 2x4 nailer around the perimiter and attached narrow crown modling to it.

I'm putting in a grid of red oak for the cross members & I'm fabricating drop in panels out of red oak & luan. (I think - at this point I'm undecided if luan stained or 1/2" MDF painted white would look better).

I picked up two bundles of unfinished red oak floring from Lumber Liquidators for $80.00. The 5 2x4's ran a little over $10.00 & the crown was left over from a previous rental rehab.

Saturday was spent cutting the frames for the panels.
I cut the 36 pieces to 24" lengths on the miter saw - DeWalt 10" non slider w/Freud 80T blade - using a simple and so/so stable stop block.
After all had been cut to rough length, I cut one end to 45* on all 36 pieces on the miter saw, this time using a more stable stop.

The final cut - the "other" 45* - was done again on the CMS, but this time I switched to a Freud 40T blade - which worked much better than the 80T blade.
For this cut, I rigged up a simple jig which had a very positive stop & held each piece firmly in place.
I ended up with 36 pieces which are exactly 23 & 7/8" long with perfect 45* cuts.
(I confirmed what I'd suspected about using a CMS. They are cabable of delivering extreme accuracy - on a par with a table saw - but,, a fair amount of setup is required.)

If this small ceiling turns out ok & I use the same idea in the basement, I'll use a sled on the TS - simply beacuse it's faster.

Next steps are to rabbet the pieces to both accept the inserts & to groove then so they fit into the grids.

Whew! Almost as much work typing this as doing the actual work!

Jason Hallowell
05-24-2009, 3:50 AM
Helping my Dad prepare his house for my little Brothers upcoming wedding (only 5 days to go!).

Assisting the LOML in making the wedding cake.

Finishing the cake stand for the wedding cake.

Final assembly and delivery of a custom vanity for a client.

Prep for a big trim carpentry job I start Mon. morning.

If I'm lucky I might even catch a couple hours of sleep too.

Chris Rosenberger
05-24-2009, 8:27 AM
I am working on a Volvo Toter truck. This one is a semi tractor that has an 8' x 12' RV behind the cab instead of a sleeper. I am upgrading the bathroom, replacing the contact paper trim with solid oak, repairing cabinets & repairing any thing else that needs fixed.

Andy Bardowell
05-24-2009, 8:45 AM
Karl normally covers this under the Weekend Doin's thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112776

Yes I noticed that afterwards Glenn, my apologies Karl.