PDA

View Full Version : Tormek style jigs

ron hossack
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Now that there are many variations of this available from different manufactors (Grizzly, Jet, HF) I have a question.

Has any one made their version of the Tormek jigs?

Harvey M. Taylor
05-23-2009, 11:49 AM
There was a review here not long ago comparing Tormek vs Jet and others. Tormek came out on top in all respects. I am not partial, even tho I own a tormek. Max

Ted Evans
05-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Ron, in my opinion the Tormek jigs are well made and function very well. The two that I use most frequently, the gouge jig and the one for chisels and plane irons, would be difficult to duplicate satisfactorily in most shops. If one had the tools, lots of time and enjoyed fabricating his tools, then I believe it could be done and possibly with some improvements. I also use the one for skews, works great and is fast and repeatable, as are the others.

Bear

Burt Alcantara
05-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Not worth it. The Tormek jigs to it all. Now, I'll admit that the gouge jig could use some modifications as my home made tools wont fit because of their fat shafts. But, I've been very successful sharpening HSS cutters using this jig and they have come out sharper then any other way I've tried.

There is a post on the Tormek forum about someone who rigged up the jig bar onto a wide belt sander and uses all of the jigs.

Ted Evans
05-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I believe his name is Dan and he was the one that gave me the idea to use the jigs with my belt grinder. I approached the modification a little differently than he did which does not matter if it works.

ron hossack
05-24-2009, 10:53 PM
There is a post on the Tormek forum about someone who rigged up the jig bar onto a wide belt sander and uses all of the jigs.
Is there a link to this?

Thanks

Ted Evans
05-24-2009, 11:12 PM
This one is to the post by Dan.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormekusers/message/5664

And this one has the photographs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormekusers/photos/album/1635555021/pic/list

It works great.

Bear