PDA

View Full Version : Moderator's Reflections -- Long

Ken Salisbury
08-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I urge all members to review the SMC Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php). Some key points of the TOS which have recently been either broken or severely bent are noted below:

It is our policy to support the free flow of information in a manner best befitting the woodworking community at large. SawMill Creek is an online community where woodworkers may come together to share and discuss a common interest.

2. Disagreements, Flaming, and Personal or Professional Attacks Disagreements are almost certain to occur. Members shall be respectful of dissenting opinions and refrain from name-calling, personal or professional attacks. Messages that contain critical content must provide all factual information pertinent to the problem and enough data to support any claims or complaints.

1. Direct Commercial Affiliation
It is our policy not to solicit commercial advertisers. Thus, we expect our Members to adhere to the same policy. Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.
2. Indirect Commercial Affiliation
Members may wish to expose other topics of interest, commercial topics included, but may only do so for the purpose of promoting discussion on the forums or in chat.

We need to highlight the positive things and minimize the negativity that can arise when a thread takes on a life of its own. Certainly it is easier to say what is wrong, rather than what is right. Using common sense, politeness and respect one another are the policies we should all be adhering to. There are "partisan camps" out there concerning tool preferences. The level of emotion that arises from those discussions due to pride of ownership, a reluctance to admit that one made a poor purchase choice or some other reason tends to defeat "the free flow of information in a manner best befitting the woodworking community at large".

Sawmill Creek is not only monitored and used by the general woodworking community but also by tool manufacturers, supply houses, magazine editors, etc. Personal bashing, bad manners and disrespect of others does not enhance SMC's position in the community.

A lot of good comes from this forum that is perhaps, not recognized. The thread on the FWW CDROM is an excellent example of how this forum can "do good" for its members. Many tool company representatives have responded here on the forum and in direct e-mails to members to solve individual problems. We certainly want that trend to continue and to grow.

SMC has established itself as the premier woodworking forum on the internet and I for one would like it to remain that way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Some thoughts:

Do to others as you would have them do you - not do to others before they do you.

Put brain in gear before engaging keyboard.

If you can't say something positive, think twice before saying something negative.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
Besides, if you do, it will make my moderator duties much easier :D :D

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

David Wilson
08-14-2004, 11:56 AM
All I can say is DITO

Greg Heppeard
08-14-2004, 12:43 PM
If I have crossed the boundaries, I am regretfull, and apologize. I hope that, by now, everyone knows that I manage a Woodcraft store and, hopefully do not try to influence people here to only shop there. I know there are bargains everywhere. If I mention a product that we stock, it's only to let people know that this is one avenue of availability. Any advice I give is from personal experiences or knowledge that has been handed down by other woodworkers, it's not a ploy to gain customers. I consider everyone here my friend. :)

Cecil Arnold
08-14-2004, 1:13 PM
Ken is right on. I think if we conduct ourselves as Ladies and Gentelmen, even though we may disagree, and respect the other person's POV, no matter how we feel about that POV, SMC will remain the great forum I decided to join a short time ago.

Keith Outten
08-14-2004, 1:24 PM
We encourage people who work for and own woodworking businesses to communicate with the Members of SawMill Creek. Fortunately it is rare that anyone has taken advantage of their access at SMC and for the most part all of our members have benefited from their ability to interact with the people who provide tools, equipment and supplies to the woodworking community. Whenever anyone crosses the line we generally send them a Private Message and the problem is resolved in a friendly way.

There is currently one individual who has already contacted me and asked to have his commercial username changed to comply with our TOS, I will make the change this evening.

New Members should note that SawMill Creek is moderated by our Members more so than the Forum Moderators. Whenever a post or message violates our TOS it is almost always a Member that reports the condition first. Ken Salisbury makes some valid points concerning the number of companies that constantly review our forums, this is actually beneficial to all parties and gives our forums and comments added value.

We are very serious about language that is inappropriate for our public forums. Among our Members we have ladies and younger woodworkers and it is important that all of our forums remain accessible to woodworkers of all ages.

Concerning heated debates it is healthy to disagree, we are all passionate from time to time about our favorite tools. We should try to respect our friends points of view and when prudent, agree to disagree.

SMC is like an old workshop, a comfortable workspace and a friendly place for friends to gather. Everyone is welcome.

Lloyd Robins
08-14-2004, 9:14 PM
Thank you! I come to this site for learning and the opportunity to hear from some very nice people. I am certain that others do the same thing. I quit going to another site because of the abuse that members gave each other. For me woodworking is a hobby, and SMC a place to enjoy and discuss woodworking and tools, not to squabble. Thanks for keeping it that way. :)

Ken Salisbury
08-15-2004, 4:34 AM
If I have crossed the boundaries, I am regretfull, and apologize. I hope that, by now, everyone knows that I manage a Woodcraft store and, hopefully do not try to influence people here to only shop there. I know there are bargains everywhere. If I mention a product that we stock, it's only to let people know that this is one avenue of availability. Any advice I give is from personal experiences or knowledge that has been handed down by other woodworkers, it's not a ploy to gain customers. I consider everyone here my friend. :)
To my recollection you haven't crossed any boundries. It is perfectly acceptable to mention a product that Woodcraft stocks if that information is germain to the thread topic.

aurelio alarcon
08-16-2004, 2:54 PM
Very good post. I haven't noticed any direct disrespect of others. It has never been my intention to disrespect anyone whatsoever. If I have, I apologize.

Paul Downes
08-17-2004, 4:42 PM
Ken and Keith, I want to commend both of you and also the other moderators for your service through this fine web forum. It is by far the best in my humble opinion. I have a question. Would it be possible to entertain the idea of haveing a business/commercial disscussion page that would allow members to advertise their businesses? I don't comprehend the logistics of the idea. It's just an idea, and I think it would be value added for members to have a ready link to others businesses. I am thinking about starting a small family run wwing business, and it might be feasable to pay a fee to the forum for the privalige of a business link on your site.

Paul Downes
08-17-2004, 4:46 PM
Oops, I now see how it works. I just klicked on your name Ken and saw the link to your web site. I guess that works just fine. SO sorry.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2004, 7:04 PM
I, like Lloyd, left other sites because of the abuse that went on there, even though I wasn't the object of the abuse. This site was the first I found where individuals of different woodworking levels of skill could exchange ideas and opinions. Ken and Keith and other moderators ...keep up the good work!

Steve Clardy
08-17-2004, 9:40 PM
I like the term---PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE ENGAGING KEYBOARD!!!
Good one.
Steve

Greg Mann
08-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I like the term---PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE ENGAGING KEYBOARD!!!
Good one.
Steve

Steve,
I made a gaff that probably contributed to the heat generated. I have apologized twice and I don't necessarily think your post above was aimed towards me in particular, but sometimes our expressions don't convey our intent even when we think our brain is engaged. I think it is important for any of us to clarify our posts if we feel, in retrospect, that they did not convey our opinions as we had intended, whether by actual mistake or just poor use of our language. It also adds to the prfessionalism of this forum, which is by far the best of all that I have seen.

Greg

Steve Clardy
08-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Steve,
I made a gaff that probably contributed to the heat generated. I have apologized twice and I don't necessarily think your post above was aimed towards me in particular, but sometimes our expressions don't convey our intent even when we think our brain is engaged. I think it is important for any of us to clarify our posts if we feel, in retrospect, that they did not convey our opinions as we had intended, whether by actual mistake or just poor use of our language. It also adds to the prfessionalism of this forum, which is by far the best of all that I have seen.

Greg
Greg. Let me start by saying that I am not good with carrying out some of my remarks. Usually when I say or post something, what I say is what I mean, nothing in between, no reading between the lines. And what I said about Kens term was NOT directed towards anyone.
I just find some of those terms and sayings amusing to myself. Like the one Ken said on another post, Sometimes a cow finds an acorn. I just seem to pick up on those things. Just the way I am built I guess.
I like to have a little fun in life along the way, and I try to reflect that in some of my posts.
I followed that thread with curiosity and watched it get kinda out of hand. I didn't notice you being a culprit in it. A couple of others, yes. No more on that subject from me.
This forum is a great place. I like to pick up ideas and give some of my advice which I feel like I can justify. I also like to have a little fun along the way, and it's not directed to harm anyone. Thats not my intent. Hope I have got my thoughts across the right way here.
And sometimes my brain is not in gear before engaging keyboard.:(
Steve

Dale Thompson
08-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Ken, Jackie and Keith,

Thank you for your position on keeping up the standards of SMC. :) This board will certainly not suffer because of your integrity.

I made a BIG mistake a few months ago by stating my position on a controversial subject. As luck would have it, my apologies have made me several friends which I did not have previously.

Your intolerance of profanity is admirable! The use of profanity is either a sign of verbal laziness or stupidity! I must admit to some occasional "verbal laziness" in my shop when I do something stupid and I pay the price. Most of the folks that I know would write it off to "stupidity". ;) Whatever.

Thanks again for allowing us access to a REAL class act. SMC RULES!!

Dale T. :)