PDA

View Full Version : Flush mount cabinet hardware

Casey Carr
05-23-2009, 1:18 AM
Is there such a thing as a euro-hinge for a flush mount door? Just started designing a new vanity and figured I'd have the drawers and doors flush mounted. When I started looking for hinges, I couldn't find any to fit that bill. TIA!

Jamie Buxton
05-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Do you mean that the door fits flush with the front of the carcass? If so, you're searching with the wrong term. They're generally called inset doors. And yes, there are cup hinges for inset doors. For instance http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Hinges/CatID/Cabinet%20Hinges%2C%20Blum%26%23174%3B%20Concealed/SubCatID/120%26%230176%3B%20Clip%20Top

On that page, click on the Applications link and the Installation link to get more details.

Casey Carr
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks! The wife may put the nix on the inset doors though. Told her what I was planning and she said she didn't think she'd like it. I'll have to get a little further in the design process and show her, but I still don't think she'll go for it.

Jamie Buxton
05-25-2009, 7:56 PM
Hardware I can help with. Wives -- not so much.

Karl Brogger
05-25-2009, 8:35 PM
That's what I was looking for. Thanks! The wife may put the nix on the inset doors though. Told her what I was planning and she said she didn't think she'd like it. I'll have to get a little further in the design process and show her, but I still don't think she'll go for it.

I find this disturbing. :) I try and sell everything as inset but less than 10% of anything I do is inset. To me its something that takes some time to do, and a little effort to get thing looking good. Overlay doors/drawers are just building things to a cost, and inset does take more time, so it costs more. Now days overlay is the standard and people think inset looks odd. What a weird world. I'll be outta work if the market ever strays towards European designs. I flat out refuse to build the stuff. To each their own I guess, but I just find it interesting how marketing that is more or less founded with the bean counters and how standards change.

Peter Quinn
05-25-2009, 9:22 PM
Blum makes a half crank hinge for full inset doors for face frame applications. Frameless also are available of course. Make sure to look at the spec sheet carefully and order the correct mounting brackets. Also, the blumotion soft close is a great option that might just sell the wife on the project?

I agree with Karl, I'd take inset before overlay any day of the week. 99% of the cabs the shop I'm in are full inset. Real nice to my eye. We also use these little plastic buttons that allow you to adjust the reveal on inset drawer fronts quite easily. I think they come from CSH? Makes life much easier.

When I did my bathroom cabs I TOLD MY WIFE WHAT SHE WOULD BE GETTING and asked her how she liked it when they were done. Full inset beaded frames, raised panel doors, soft close euro hinges. She liked it. We discuss the details of lots of things I make for the house, but when consensus can't be reached, I do what I like and leave the ear plugs in until she has made peace with it or come to like it. Works for me.:D

Karl Brogger
05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
When I did my bathroom cabs I TOLD MY WIFE WHAT SHE WOULD BE GETTING and asked her how she liked it when they were done. Full inset beaded frames, raised panel doors, soft close euro hinges. She liked it. We discuss the details of lots of things I make for the house, but when consensus can't be reached, I do what I like and leave the ear plugs in until she has made peace with it or come to like it. Works for me.:D

LOL, whenever I do anything in my house my better half has zero say other than layout.:D

Blum has a hinge plate that mounts on the backside of the faceframe that is really nice to use. But I question how well they hold up in anything other than really hard hardwood.