PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Shear Force Resaw blade? Anyone tried these

Peter Quinn
05-22-2009, 8:52 PM
I'm looking for a few new resaw blades, not in need of carbide, I just got an email from Laguna that they are having a buy 1 get 1 free sale on the shear force blades. Anyone tried these blades? Any comments would be appreciated. I usually go with timberwolf, I've been considering a Highland Woodslicer blade, from the description the Laguna and the Highland blades sound like the same blade in design, vari pitch, hardened teeth, etc. I'm using a 14" PM with a riser.

Peter Quinn
05-23-2009, 12:22 PM
bump. bump. anyone?:eek:

Mike Heidrick
05-23-2009, 1:12 PM
The resaw king is nice. I think a guy one woodnet has the shear force. I would try one for sure!

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 5:12 PM
From the description of the blade.. it does sound similar to the Wood-slcier but I cannot say for sure. The Bladerunner from Iturra comes off the same coil as the WS from all reports. I used the WS for many years on a 14" but changed over to Lennox bi-metal for re-saw when I upgraded to a 18" saw.

The bi-metal will stay sharper much longer but... the springs on your 14" might not handle the extra tension required by both bi-metal and even more by carbide. If the blade is cheap.. try one and get one free. If no one has used it and you don't want to gamble.. try a Woodslicer or Bladerunner as they are proven.

I personally don't care for a low tension blade to re-saw. I was faced with one at the IWF Show last fall when I demonstrated BS's for Steel City Toolworks. I fought the blade the first day and day two I brought a WS from home I had left over before switching to bi-metal. With that said.. many love the TW so it boils down to personal preference IMO.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help with that specific blade.

Sarge..

Peter Quinn
05-23-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks John. I figure Laguna doesn't manufacture anything, and they aren't real keen on telling you who does IME. Could be the same blade? Seems it would cost $42 for two blades shipped to my shop from Laguna versus $39 for one Woodslicer. I'll be resawing a lot of mahogany, long lengths but rather narrow depth, for a lattice project. Really more like ripping than proper resawing. I'm looking for a thin kerf and lower noise wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm also interested in trying a new blade just for the heck of it, no particular gripe with timberwolf to date. I'll check out the Iturra blade too, been meaning to order something from him as well. Maybe I'll just get one of each and try them all? I have a cobra coil high tension spring, still not sure I can tension a carbide, pretty sure I'll wait on that until I can afford an Agazzani!

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks John. I figure Laguna doesn't manufacture anything, and they aren't real keen on telling you who does IME. Could be the same blade? Seems it would cost $42 for two blades shipped to my shop from Laguna versus $39 for one Woodslicer. I'll be resawing a lot of mahogany, long lengths but rather narrow depth, for a lattice project. Really more like ripping than proper resawing. I'm looking for a thin kerf and lower noise wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'm also interested in trying a new blade just for the heck of it, no particular gripe with timberwolf to date. I'll check out the Iturra blade too, been meaning to order something from him as well. Maybe I'll just get one of each and try them all? I have a cobra coil high tension spring, still not sure I can tension a carbide, pretty sure I'll wait on that until I can afford an Agazzani!

I wouldn't worry about carbide Peter. I've got by without it on re-saw for over 30 years so.... I almost bought an Aggazani 3 years ago. I had my choice down to the MM 16 and Aggii.. put a deposit on a MM 16 and ended up with a Steel City 18". Whatever... :>)

The Aggi's are extremely nice and very well buiilt as most of the Italian Stallions Bandsaws.

Sarge..