PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day- a grunt's remembrance

Dave Anderson NH
05-22-2009, 7:49 PM
I know all of you have plans for cookouts, family gatherings, vacation trips, and other things on this weekend which is the unoffical start of Summer. I would ask you though to please remember why this holiday originated and honor those who since 1775 served their country and made the supreme sacrifice to give you the freedom and the lives you have now. Since that fateful morning of April 19, 1775 on the battle green at Lexington, Massachusetts over 2,800,000 Americans have been killed in action or died of disease or wounds in the service of their country. This is the price of freedom and it is high. Most went willingly in the full knowledge that it could cost them everything including their lives. They thought the price was a fair exchange for value but it remains so only if we keep the faith and remember their sacrifice. Even now we have men and women in harms ways. Remember them too.

I would like to have you look at the names listed below. Each and every one was a personal friend. I think of them often because to forget them is to dishonor their memory. Honor them as I do.

LCpl James Marshall KIA August 10, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Lexington KY
LCpl Luis Cruz KIA August 10, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV NY,NY
LCpl David Thomas KIA August 10, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Conneault, OH
Pvt Roberto Torres KIA September 2, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV NY,NY
Pfc Donald Redmond KIA September 10, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Chicago, IL
LCpl John Robinson KIA September 10, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Silver Star
Cpl Ronald Delverde KIA September 25, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV So. Boston, MA
Pfc Ernest Perinotto KIA November 17, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Allentown,PA Silver Star
LCpl Fagatoele Lokeni KIA December 27, 1968 B 1/7 1st MARDIV American Samoa
Cpl David Graham KIA February 8, 1969 1st CAG Ventura CA
Cpl Phillip Minton KIA February 18, 1969 B 1/7 1st MARDIV Clinton, TN
LCpl Espiridion "Pops" Perez KIA April 30, 1969 B 1/7 1st MARDIV corpus Christi, TX
Cpl Peter Morka KIA July 24, 1969 1st CAG NY,NY
Sgt Daniel Majors KIA August 31, 1969 1st CAG Memphis, TN
HM3 Gerald Keesling KIA November 22, 1969 1st CAG St. Peters, MO
PFC Wesley Sidener KIA November 22, 1969 1st CAG Burns, KS

Most of these men were 21 years old and under, none were over 28. They are forever young and their memory is engraved forever on a wall of black granite in our nation's capital. Rest in peace my brothers.

Mike Henderson
05-22-2009, 8:03 PM
Wonderful posting, wonderful memorial. And thank you for your service, Dave.

No matter what part you served in, Vietnam stays with you for life.

Let me add an edit. During the period 1967, 1968, and 1969 we (the US) suffered about 1,000 soldiers killed in action per MONTH - more than 1,000/month in 1968. Think about that. Think about the families who saw that military car pull up in front of their house, and what they went through. They were also casualties of the war.

And during Vietnam, there were about 4 soldiers wounded for every soldier killed. In Iraq, the ratio is higher, perhaps 6:1, with many gravely wounded. While we remember the dead on Memorial Day, I ask you to also remember those survived the shells, but may have nevertheless been destroyed by the war.

Mike

Dick Adair
05-22-2009, 8:05 PM
Dave, thank you. Very moving.

Rory Talkington
05-22-2009, 8:11 PM
I have a similar list from F 2/5, and 1st Recon Bn. Semper Fi! and thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-22-2009, 8:32 PM
Thanks for you service Dave.....and thanks for reminding us...

Keith Outten
05-22-2009, 8:45 PM
Once again I will be turning Freedom Pens for our troops this Memorial day, I hope that some of you will be joining me again this year making pens for our troops serving in the Middle East. At the end of the day you will be glad you donated your time for a good cause, each pen is a gift from home to someone who is a long way from their friends and family.

Here is your chance to serve our Patriots from the safety of your workshop. Please join me this year and make pens for our sons and daughters who have volunteered to protect us and those we love.

Bruce Haugen
05-22-2009, 8:48 PM
The first time I went to The Wall was in '83, before it opened officially. It was a dismal, rainy day in February, and my wife and I were in D.C. for a meeting. I was looking for names, a couple guys in my unit I knew were in WestPac and had been shipped to 'Nam instead of me. Another family was there, the dad a little older than I, and he was also looking for a name. His teenage daughter was impatient and wanted to leave. But her dad wasn't deterred, and he finally found the name of one of his buddies.

She asked her dad what was important about these names, and with tears running down his face, he said "Let me tell you about my friends..."

I left with tears running down my face, too.

Semper Fi, Dave,

Be at peace, and remember your buddies.

Bruce,
Cpl, USMC 1969-1971

Jim Rimmer
05-22-2009, 9:49 PM
Dave:

What a wonderful tribute. I served in the Navy during 1971 to 1975 but was never in a combat zone. Can't say enough about these brave young men who gave it all for us.

Martin Shupe
05-23-2009, 1:36 AM
Well said, Dave.

Don Eddard
05-23-2009, 2:07 AM
My hat's off and head's bowed for all who've served. Nice reminder, Dave.

Bill Clark De
05-23-2009, 7:22 AM
Semper Fi,

Belinda Barfield
05-23-2009, 9:29 AM
Thank you all for the posts reminding me how lucky I am, and thank you for your service. Dave, I could hardly read your list through the tears.

Mike, how true that all who have experienced war experience great loss even if they do not give their lives, as do their families.

Because of this thread I am going to take the time Monday to visit the Mighty 8th Airforce Museum. Sometimes in my day to day life it is easy to forget what has been sacrificied, and is still being sacrificed, to allow me to live in safety and without real fear. Thank you again for reminding me.

John Schreiber
05-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you Dave for the reminder. It is so clear.

Andy Bardowell
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Well said Dave.

Steve Schlumpf
05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Thank you Dave for reminding everyone of the sacrifices that have been made so that all of us can live in freedom! Thank you and everyone who has served our country! It is because of you and your efforts that we are here today!

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2009, 8:29 PM
Thanks Dave and the same respect and honor back to you and your lost brothers of the war.

My head is bowed, heart is heavy with sadness and gratefulness for the freedoms we have because many like us have served in some capacity to keep our country free.

God bless all our troops both past and present.!!!

Here is the true cost of Peace and Freedom: http://www.nationalguard.com/priceofpeace/