PDA

View Full Version : Need a challange

Dave Russell Smith
05-22-2009, 7:10 PM
Just finished one of Clayton Boyer's pendulum clocks this morning, working great and keeping good time. Cut everything on the laser so it runs nice and clean. Next one will get done in colored acrylic.:)

Dave Lock
05-22-2009, 7:58 PM
That's really something Dave. It looks great.

Looking forward to seeing your next one.

Can you post pics of it tomorrow :D

Keep up the good work

Dave.

Frank Corker
05-22-2009, 9:34 PM
Fantastic job there boyo! Now if you could just photograph it properly for all of us to see it better and in focus it would be magic :)

Dave Russell Smith
05-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Sorry Frank it was taken on my phone as the kids had killed off my camera batteries. will post a better one Sir :o

Marc Myer
05-23-2009, 3:46 AM
I've had a Clayton Boyer clock sitting nearly finished for months. Beautiful design, but I'm having trouble making everything work perfectly. My skills are probably lacking a bit, as it's my first attempt.

Did you sand off the darkened lasered edges of the gears? What else did you learn about making the clock work properly?

Dave Russell Smith
05-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I've had a Clayton Boyer clock sitting nearly finished for months. Beautiful design, but I'm having trouble making everything work perfectly. My skills are probably lacking a bit, as it's my first attempt.

Did you sand off the darkened lasered edges of the gears? What else did you learn about making the clock work properly?

I did not touch anything with the gears,straight out of the laser and on to the frame. Make sure all the holes are tight make sure the cogs turn freely by blowing on them. It took a awhile to find the correct weight for the clock on the pulley and setting the pallet but you do need perseverance. Keep going at it and you'll get there, its great when you start getting that steady tick tock going its mesmerizing. What clock are you building ?

George Brown
05-25-2009, 9:44 AM
Just finished one of Clayton Boyer's pendulum clocks this morning, working great and keeping good time. Cut everything on the laser so it runs nice and clean. Next one will get done in colored acrylic.:)

Dave,

Are the plans you got for the clock ready for the laser or did you have to redraw them in corel?

Dave Russell Smith
05-25-2009, 8:35 PM
Dave,

Are the plans you got for the clock ready for the laser or did you have to redraw them in corel?

The Plans have been drawn to scale on paper, I then had to convert them to Corel which was the longest part of the whole project but very satisfying :) . And here are the new photo's Frank, got new batteries for the camera ;) . The Clorox bottle is temporary until I get the correct weight sorted

Marc Myer
05-26-2009, 5:08 PM
Beautiful work! What kind of wood did you use?

I'm making Swoopy. Naturally I've been playing around with the design, but not the mechanicals. There's a photo I posted earlier: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110843

Dave Russell Smith
05-26-2009, 6:53 PM
Beautiful work! What kind of wood did you use?

I'm making Swoopy. Naturally I've been playing around with the design, but not the mechanicals. There's a photo I posted earlier: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110843

I used 1/4" Birch ply and laminated the ones that needed to be 1/2", makes a stronger gear and less twisting.I'm going to try another in real wood and laminate pieces togeather to avoid to much twist through the cog and do a bit more detailing in the finish as that will be in the house :)

Bill Cunningham
05-28-2009, 9:04 PM
Beautiful job Dave.. I've always wanted to try one of those, but just never get the time.. When I hear the words "I need a challenge" it usually scares me, because it always culminates with "hold my beer and watch this" :eek:

Marc Myer
06-02-2009, 1:21 PM
Great! That's what I've been doing. I've been trying a variation: I redesigned the 'spokes' for interesting visuals, and then when laminating them for 1/2" gears, staggered them so you get a two-layered look. It's pretty cool; gets the imagination going. But it's much nicer when the clock actually runs, I'd imagine :)

I used 1/4" Birch ply and laminated the ones that needed to be 1/2", makes a stronger gear and less twisting.I'm going to try another in real wood and laminate pieces togeather to avoid to much twist through the cog and do a bit more detailing in the finish as that will be in the house :)