PDA

View Full Version : Smoothe edges on logo

Tim Shoemaker
05-22-2009, 6:35 PM
i am relatively new to laser engraving. We a Vytek FX2 55 watt laser. We were trained in Photoshop Elements and Photograv when we purchased our laser. We have been sending our files to the laser as bitmaps and on the majority of our jobs that has not been a problem.

We have a client who wants use to lase thier logo on black anodized Alum. He has also requested that the logo have smooth edges. We have recently acquired CorelDraw X4 and have subscribed to "LaserU" through lasebits. I have learned to smooth out the edges using the "trace" tool, but what type of file should i save the image as and send it to our laser. When I save it as a bitmap the rougher pixel edges return. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Tim
tim@customimagelaserengraving.com (tim@customimagelaserengraving.com)I
Vytek FX2 55 watt laser

Gary Hair
05-22-2009, 6:42 PM
The best file type to send to a laser is a vector file. When you create, or trace, something in Corel, you are creating a vector file. This is scalable and gives you the sharpest edges. When you save or export as a bitmap file and you will almost always get jagged edges and you have negated the work you did to vectorize it.

Draw it in Corel and send it directly from Corel as a vector file.

Gary

Larry Bratton
05-22-2009, 6:53 PM
You have a case of what is commonly referred to as the "jaggies". Bitmap images are made of pixels. If you have a low resolution image such as 72dpi, the bigger you make it, the edges become pixelated and will be reproduced as such. Vector images are not made up of pixels and subsequently can be stretched or made into infinite sizes. If you have traced and image, you need to fill it as needed and save it as a vector file to engrave.