PDA

View Full Version : Sam Maloof, 1916-2009

John Hulett
05-22-2009, 5:59 PM
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_webmaloof.297bb99.html

Bruce Page
05-22-2009, 6:18 PM
Rest in Peace Sam. You were one of the great ones.

Russ Massery
05-22-2009, 6:21 PM
That's a shame and a great lost. I my eyes one most inspiring woodworkers ever. R.I.P.

Pat Keefe
05-22-2009, 6:22 PM
Inspirational man in all sense of the word, even to a small town boy, on the otherside of the world

Ben Franz
05-22-2009, 6:30 PM
R.I.P. Sam. You inspired countless woodworkers and others. A life well spent - you will be missed.

Chris Padilla
05-22-2009, 6:30 PM
http://www.pe.com/multimedia/slideshow/2009/20090523_maloof/index.html#16

A direct link to some pics. I noticed in the pic before Sam's face (second to last pic), that he appears to have a Noden Adjust-a-Bench in his shop.

The prices of his pieces must have gone up 10x.

RIP, Sam, you can now visit with your first wife of half a century.

Scot Ferraro
05-22-2009, 6:32 PM
He was a true inspiration and a great guy. He will be missed!

Scot

Joe Jensen
05-22-2009, 6:38 PM
What a sad day. I was fortunate enough to spend a day with Sam and his appretices about a year ago. What a fantastic artist and craftsman. He was a true innovator, and someone who was dedicated to his love of the craft.

Bill Wyko
05-22-2009, 6:42 PM
This is a sad time in the world of fine woodworking. Sam was one of the elite. One of the finest woodworkers of all time. There should be a moment of silence on the date of his passing every year. He was an inspiration like no other. RIP Sam, God bless him and his loved ones.. You'll be missed.

Larry Edgerton
05-22-2009, 6:47 PM
Bummer.

I studied his work with awe, and was awed by the man behind the work. May his family find solice in the respect that the man has collected.

John Keeton
05-22-2009, 7:29 PM
Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but at the very least he has done what few do - he left a tremendous legacy of work and knowledge to inspire those who come after him. We should all be so fortunate.

Glen Gunderson
05-22-2009, 7:45 PM
What has always amazed me about Sam Maloof is just how long he was able to maintain such a high level of skill and workmanship. It seems odd, but he didn't even begin professional woodworking until his mid thirties, yet he still managed almost 60 years of output. To put it another way, almost half of his entire career in woodworking came after most people retire. Even in his nineties he was giving demonstrations and leaving fellow woodworkers in awe of his abilities. He was a remarkable man and he will be missed.

Still, as sad as is passing is, we all have to go sometime and we should all be so lucky as to be able to do what we love and have our wits about us into our 90s. Sam has left behind a huge body of work that will influence woodworkers for decades and he will always be alive through his furniture.

Roger Savatteri
05-22-2009, 7:59 PM

I just spoke to Joan at the Maloof foundation and she mentioned that within about 2 weeks there will be a Celebration / Memorial of Sam's life which will be open to the public.

By about tomorrow or the next day the information as to when and where will be up on their site.

Maloof Foundation (http://www.malooffoundation.org/)

.....r

jim carter
05-22-2009, 9:01 PM
a friend of mine went to so. cal. about a year ago and spent a week at william ng woodworking school to make 1 of sams black walnut rocking chairs. its all put together but he still has 200 - 300 hours of sanding and finishing to complete. he spent a day this feb. with sam for a class and said his mind was still sharp but he used a walking stick. my friends brother in law has a rocking chair that is 40-50 years old and he was told that sam had built this chair. he sent a picture to sam recently but hadnt heard back. he is going to send me the picture and i will post it.

John Thompson
05-22-2009, 9:08 PM
Was fortunate enough to attend two seminars over the years at Highland Hardware with Mr. Maloof. A gentle man and a WW'ing Icon.

Sarge..

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:54 PM
That's sad news. Sam is an icon of the highest stature.

John Stevens
05-22-2009, 10:46 PM
From what I was able to read of his personal life, he was a good man.

Oh, sure, I'm humbled by the beauty of his work, but I was always just as impressed by what I was able to learn about his personality. Those of you who met him were privileged, I'm sure. How much his family must miss him.

Regards,

John

Martin Shupe
05-23-2009, 1:32 AM
So sorry to hear about this. He was certainly a class act, and an outstanding woodworker. Rest in peace, Sam.

David DeCristoforo
05-23-2009, 12:55 PM
The world of artisan woodworking has lost one of it's greatest advocates. I cannot think of another individual who has contributed more to the woodworking world than Sam Maloof.

I have heard that name since I was a kid and it was never spoken with less than the utmost respect and more often than not, with awe. Until the very end of his incredibly prolific life, Sam was the woodworker's woodworker. He was what we all aspired to, what we wanted to become. And through it all, he remained a humble and gracious man, freely sharing his ideas and welcoming all into his home and shop.

There has been much written about Sam and I am sure there will be many heartfelt words written about his passing. But for me, Sam will remain a benchmark figure, someone who's work and life are forever to be an inspiration.

There have been others, Edward Barnsley for one, George Nakashima for another, from whom I have drawn inspiration. Artisans of extraordinary skill and design sense I will never equal. But always, in my mind, I see myself being like them, constantly striving to improve this line or refine that curve, always seeking the illusive perfection.

Whether or not I ever achieve anything close to Sam's level of ability or success, is not the point. It's not a goal. It's a process. I'm sure there are many like me that feel the world is less full than it was a few days ago. I only met Sam once so I cannot really call him a friend. But he has been a mentor nontheless

David Keller NC
05-23-2009, 2:04 PM
I suppose any death is always "too soon", but I'm happy that Sam was able to do something that 99% of us will not - working in a woodshop, even if you were just supervising (which Sam wasn't) is hard work for a 30 year old, much less a 90-something. Sam was able to have meaningful output that he did himself well into what most of us would consider extreme old age.

We should all be so lucky - his was certainly a life well-lived.

Jake Helmboldt
05-23-2009, 3:29 PM
As implressive as Maloof's work was, I think it is almost secondary to the person that he was. It is rare that someone with his skills remains so humble, deisring of so little in accolades, wealth, etc. He is one of those rare souls that everyone who met him has nothing but kind words.

There is a thread in the turner's forum about some guy with medicore skills calling himself a "master turner". Maloof's business card apparetnly simply referred to him as "woodworker", and he declined opportunities for great wealth to sell out his designs for mass production. And he worked basically until the day he died, almost a century old. As a woodworker he was a master, as a person, an icon. He'd probably be dismissive of that, but I think it is true.

Jim Koepke
05-23-2009, 4:29 PM
Sad to say, Sam Maloof has left this world at 93.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-sam-maloof23-2009may23,0,3907018.story

scott spencer
05-23-2009, 4:49 PM
What a great life and spectacular career Sam had. I couldn't help buy smile every time I saw a picture of him. May he rest in peace.

Chris Thompson
05-23-2009, 4:55 PM
I struggled to explain this to my wife, why it was a big deal. Best I could come up with was that Sam was John Lennon and Elvis. Sam was Miles and Coletrane. Sam was Scorcese or Kurosawa. Sam was Picasso or Warhol. He was Jim Henson and Graham Chapman, Faulkner and Salinger, Kerouac and Hemingway, all wrapped into one.

There are other "name" woodworkers, some who do amazing work, but for me the Sam was always the rock star of the bunch.

Iconic, enigmatic, intensely talented. Did things differently and found beauty in places others hadn't.

I'm sad that I never got to meet him. I'm sad that I've never seen one of his pieces in person. But I could sit and look at the lines of one of his rockers and be mesmerised.

The world is a lesser place without him. In Requiescat Pace.

Earl Reid
05-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I had the honor to meet Sam in 2001 at the Renwick museum in Washington DC. He was a real gentleman. He asked me about the kind of woodworking I did and posed for pics . I willnever forget him.
Earl

Fidel Fernandez
05-24-2009, 12:10 AM
It is sad, I was hoping one day meeting him. Well, I have to wait a little longer and then we can enjoy together.

He is/was one of the greatest. Sad to hear this.

Good bye Sam!

John Sanford
05-24-2009, 2:59 AM
'Tis sad to lose such an inspiration, and yet, it is good to be reminded once again by Sam's example how to live life. In full.

Godspeed Sam. We are the better to have known of you, and more blessed are those who knew you.

Anybody who wants a reminder of how much of a design inspiration Sam Maloof was to others is invited to review Furnitude's series on Rocking Chairs...

http://furnitude.blogspot.com/search/label/Rocking%20Chairs%20I%20Love

Jeff Mohr
05-24-2009, 4:38 PM
Was camping the past couple days and just caught this post.

I'm shocked and saddened. I saw one of his seminar's in Greenville, SC a year or two back. He was amazing cutting things on the bandsaw and speaking to us as if he was 30! I grabbed a couple pieces of scrap from his walnut chair and he was kind enough to autograph them. Great guy and an inspiration.

He will be missed.

Jim Kountz
05-24-2009, 8:14 PM
A great loss to the woodworking world, RIP Sam.

Greg Hines, MD
05-24-2009, 9:36 PM
Rest in Peace.

David Winer
05-26-2009, 4:03 PM
Sam Maloof inspired me to begin woodworking. He and a few others (including George Nakishima and Wendell Castle) were featured in a show of the Smithsonian’s Renwick Gallery in Washington, DC in 1972. My visit was just casual, a weekend jaunt at my wife’s insistence. I could hardly believe what I saw there—woodworking carried to extremes of art and craftmanship. I was mostly struck by Maloof’s practical furniture pieces: the cradle, rocking chair, and music stand. These designs haunted me the following days, and as a result I sought out a sawmill the next weekend to have a cherry log cut to 4/4 and 6/4 boards.

While these boards were stickered and drying on the patio, I read books about how to do woodworking. (One was by R.J. De Cristoforo, father of David, prominent on this forum.) By the time the boards had been kiln-dried, I had assembled tools and was ready to make some furniture. My first serious piece was a dining room table, still in daily use.

Eight years after that show at the Renwick, it came to pass that Sam Maloof gave a two-day course locally. He was still my inspiration and I attended with rapt attention. My wife and I invited him and his then wife, Freda, to lunch at our house. I was eager to show him the table that he had unknowingly inspired. During our conversation Maloof offered to take an order for his famous rocking chair. In those days (1980) the proposed cost seemed very reasonable, a small fraction of recent prices for the rocking chair. Unfortunately, my wife has an aversion to rocking chairs—something about feet tangling with the rockers—and we reluctantly declined the offer. I don’t remember why our attention was so focused on a rocking chair, and I regret not suggesting another furniture item.

During the instructional course, Sam showed how he cut and shaped parts for his chairs. He used poplar for these operations, tossing the examples aside as he went. At the end he honored my request for some of these graceful scraps and I still have these few pieces to remember him by.

The Renwick again featured Sam Maloof in a retrospective of his work in 2001. While bicycling for exercise I discovered the show, went in, and was startled to find this great man conducting a tour! I followed along discreetly for a while. With his sophisticated audience of admirers he appeared to be the same self-effacing and charming man as he had been with our woodworking class twenty one years earlier.

Ben Davis
05-26-2009, 9:28 PM
Rest in Peace Sam. You were one of the great ones.
I will someday tell my children that there used to be a time when giants walked the earth.

Dave Lehnert
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a DVD called "Craft In America" by PBS. It is hands down the best DVD I own. Sam Maloof talks about his workers will carry on after his death. The DVD also features other artists.
If you do not own this DVD do yourself a favor and get it.
The video is like 3 hours long. Everyone who reviews the DVD on Amazon gives it 5 stars. A must for Maloof fans.

http://www.amazon.com/Craft-America-Dan-Seeger/dp/B000P7V6VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243391442&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51muXryVHiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Zahid Naqvi
05-27-2009, 6:47 PM
Met the guy when he came to Little Rock as part of the "Crafts in America" traveling exhibit. I can't say that I have ever met a more humble and down to earth man. He certainly was a legend and left a lasting impression on anyone he met.

Brian Kent
05-27-2009, 7:05 PM
I just got word that his memorial service will be at Claremont School of Theology (1325 N. College Ave, Claremont, CA 91711) Tuesday, June 9 at 3:00 PM.

I plan to be there but I am not presiding over the service - just attending.

They will have a reception at the Foundation Gallery and Gardens afterwards. The burial will be private. If any Creekers plan to attend, I would love to meet you at the reception.

Brian Kent

John H Murphy
06-01-2009, 5:28 PM
I was inspired by this man when I was in my 20's - (1974). A legend. RIP.

Jim Koepke
06-04-2009, 3:21 AM
This message was posted by Dick Bobo, a fellow member of a Macintosh User's Group to which I belong. I thought others here might enjoy reading it.

jim

We just returned from a short visit w/family & friends in S. CA, initially planned a couple weeks ago to be able to see Sam while he was still alive. Unfortunately, we were a week late, but very timely for Beverly who had been inundated w/visitors & phone calls, & was looking for some respite. The NYT article had come out the day before we arrived, which resulted in a flurry of new calls that day & the day we arrived. We spent a long evening sipping wine & talking over a myriad of stories about Sam, recent happenings, what the future might hold, etc.

Sam was a very simple man who became friends w/the likes of the Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter, Peter Lynch, the owner of the San Diego Padres, & many other famous people, as well as people w/o any fame. When in GA, they would have breakfast w/Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter, & in fact, he’d recently made another piece of furniture for the Carters.

Yet, when they had tours thru their museum & grounds, someone would wander into his shop, & ask Sam a question. Sam would stop work & talk w/this person as long as needed. People from newspapers, TV stations, etc., would call to ask to see him, & he'd willingly oblige. It drove others nuts because these distractions were a problem for their always long list of backlogged items to be built. To his thinking, everyone who loved woodworking was equal, whether an ex-prez, fund mgr, or whatever, & he always enjoyed talking about the craft

The morning of the day Sam died, Beverly said President Carter had just learned about Sam’s condition, & called, asking her to tell him what she could without causing too many tears for her. She went thru the situation, then said that Sam was no longer talking. However, she said that he was reacting to voices & would put the phone by his ear so he could talk to Sam if he wished. Carter talked at least 10 minutes, then when Carter stopped talking, Beverly talked w/Carter for several more minutes before ending the call.

His internment on the grounds, just behind the new house & beside his 1st wife of 50 yrs, will be private for family only. Per his wishes, he’s being buried in a pine box made by “the boys.” Also per his wishes, he’ll be dressed in a white tee shirt, jeans & cowboy boots, what he was wearing when he met Alfreda before they were married.

As could be expected, when they have the Celebration of Life for Sam on June 9, it’s going to be catered by IN-N-OUT, his favorite.

I’m realizing that I’ve not said anything about Sam & Beverly, so, briefly, Beverly & her 1st husband met Sam when they bought some furniture from him when Sam was just starting out, & over time became casual friends. A few yrs after Alfreda died, Sam ran into Beverly at an art function, & they renewed their friendship. Shortly thereafter, Sam asked Beverly out for dinner, & before long, they were dating regularly. I remember our 1st visit w/Beverly when she said a friend from many yrs ago, who was ~20 yrs older, was pursuing her. They lived ~ 35 mi./45 min. apart, & he’d zip over to her home in his Porsche, then out to dinner, then home. Her son (in his 40s) thought Sam was “very cool.” After a somewhat whirlwind courtship, they were married 8 yrs ago in a small ceremony of ~50 close friends, in the garden of good friends of Beverly.

Dick

Wayne Sutter
06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
My name is Wayne Sutter and I am one of the owners of Woodline USA. I am proud to have called Sam a friend. I was inspired by Sam as many have been. I was also blessed to be able to spend many hours in his home, over meals and in his shop talking and learning from Sam. What impressed me most was his passion for his craft. Sam was a humble and gentle man and I am greatly saddened by his passing. We have lost a giant of a man and there may never be another like him.

The last time I saw Sam was when I gave him a wooden gear clock I had designed and built. My work is a poor compared to the master and I was thrilled when Sam and Beverly decided to put it in their home at the base of the grand spiral staircase. He was very kind to me and I will never forget the generosity of spirit that he showed to all aspiring woodworkers.

Having recently lost my own wife of many years, my thoughts are with Beverly. She is a fine woman in her own right and I know they shared a special relationship. They met when he sold her furniture many years ago and again after Alfreda died when her furniture needed repair. He joked that she married him so she could get furniture for free. Her love for his craft and for him were always clearly evident.

Sam was wise. He knew his time was limited and he prepared. Beverly, Roz, David, Larry and Mike will preserve the Sam’s legacy through the Maloof Foundation. The boys are masters in their own right. His shop and home will continue to be open to the public. Future woodworkers will continue to be inspired by Sam’s genius.

My business partner Helen Thompson and I share the ownership of a Sam Maloof rocking chair. Every time I look at it I am inspired again to work a little harder to master our craft. I know I will never achieve anywhere near the level of craftsmanship Sam exhibited every day but that is not as important as the love of the craft that Sam instilled in all that knew him.

Sam was a woodworker, my friend, an inspiration, and one of the most giving men I have ever known. We are all diminished by his passing.

Bill Wyko
06-06-2009, 3:46 PM
Just wondering if it would be possible for SMC to make a thread that would be a history of his work with pictures? I've stared at his projects for a long time on many occasions.

Brian Kent
06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Just wondering if it would be possible for SMC to make a thread that would be a history of his work with pictures? I've stared at his projects for a long time on many occasions.

Bill I think that is an outstanding idea. Just start it with a paragraph of introduction and I'm sure people would be delighted to contribute their photos.

Brian

Brian Kent
06-10-2009, 1:23 PM
Yesterday I found myself sitting in the chapel of Claremont School of Theology, a part of the celebration of Sam Maloof's life.

There were many "Story-Tellers" (as they were called in the bulletin), beginning with Jeremy Adamson of the Library of Congress, who wrote the book "The Furniture of Sam Maloof". The credentials are not important except that he had a lot of great stories to tell.

They chose yesterday for the service for two reasons. The minor reason was that they hoped to fit the event with Jimmy Carter's schedule, but he was not able to attend. They main reason for the date was that Sam wanted "In-and-Out Burgers" to cater the reception and that was the only day they were not booked.

Sam asked to be buried in Jeans and a t-shirt and his cowboy boots, in a plain pine box. "The Boys", his co-workers gave him most of what he asked for. They made a box that looks like plain pine from Sam's point of view, but on the outside has a polished walnut cross and handles, and hinges and a latch made of Walnut in the style of the doors in Sam's home. You can see the pictures in this photo essay:

http://dailybulletin.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=24074173&event=774000&CategoryID=26461&picnum=34&move=B#Image

The other furniture in the chapel was also made by Sam Maloof - the pulpit, the chairs, the rocking chair on display, the communion table and the cross. There are made in a unique, natural style and were donated to the Seminary years ago when Sam was on a Seminary board.

The music was soaring, the stories were deeply touching and usually funny.

I got there two hours early to have a seat inside the chapel. The service lasted over 2 hours, and I wasn't tired by the end.

I have never known Sam, but did get to meet him once in April when Mike Johnson was substituting for him at a workshop. Nevertheless, I think my life has been moved and centered just a little from hearing these stories and appreciating how Sam lived.

Brian

Brian Kent
06-11-2009, 3:08 PM
I found the website for the singer that sang several bautiful pieces at his service. Enjoy:

Perla Batalla
http://www.perla.com/home.html