PDA

View Full Version : Workbench vise modification

Rick Erickson
05-22-2009, 5:54 PM
Has anyone out there converted a typical European work bench with a shoulder vice to use a Scandinavian vice instead?

Here is the bench I have and the vice I want to go to. Looking for ideas, plans, etc. I'm not very creative on designing things but I sure can follow a plan :-)

george wilson
05-22-2009, 6:21 PM
Why convert the vise? The European vise lets you hang a piece of wood out of the left side to saw it off. I think the Scando vise isn't as useful.

John Gornall
05-22-2009, 8:03 PM
I once saw a Scaninavian vise that mounted in a front vise. Wouldn't be hard to make.

Rick Erickson
05-22-2009, 8:21 PM
Why convert the vise? The European vise lets you hang a piece of wood out of the left sids to saw it off. I think the Scando vise isn't as useful.

Less racking, wider board grip (with less chatter). For doing hand work they seem so much easier to work with.

george wilson
05-22-2009, 10:56 PM
I am a Scando vise nun: Ain't had none,don't want none,don't expect to get none :)

Of course,this is not helping you to make one !!

Jim Koepke
05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Less racking, wider board grip (with less chatter). For doing hand work they seem so much easier to work with.

It seems they would be in the way when planing a long board.

The racking looks like it could be a problem unless there is something different about the design that I am missing.

jim

Graham Hughes (CA)
05-22-2009, 11:29 PM
It's difficult; a shoulder vise usually merits a fifth leg and some additional structural considerations. It can be done, though.

Wilbur Pan
05-23-2009, 7:10 AM
It seems they would be in the way when planing a long board.

With a shoulder vise, most of the bulk of the vise is actually out of the way if you are using it to edge plane a long board. It doesn't look like it from a picture, but in use you're not standing in front of the shoulder vise -- it's at the end of the board that you are planing.

Frank Klausz uses shoulder vises all the time on his workbenches. They seem to be an excellent solution for holding longer boards to cut dovetails, since you can clamp the middle of the board without the depth limit that a face vise has. Again, they really aren't in the way as much as they look. If you use some other sort of face vise, clamp a board like you would for dovetailing, and start making a cut. I'll bet you'll find your body at least 8-12" back from the front edge of the vise, which is more than enough clearance for the shoulder part of the vise.

John Keeton
05-23-2009, 7:15 AM
I am a Scando vise nun: Ain't had none,don't want none,don't expect to get none :)George, love that quote! It has so many applications:D