PDA

View Full Version : Carved Chairmaker's Tool Chest

Jim Paulson
05-22-2009, 4:13 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been very active on the forum. I did something bold in the last few days. I posted my carved tool chest on the fine woodworking.com website. Most of you folks haven't seen any of my work so if you check this out you can see some of the things that I like to do.

Here is the link if you are interested in seeing the tool chest.
http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/item/3325/carved-chairmakers-tool-chest-by-rev-jim-paulson

Jim Paulson

phil harold
05-22-2009, 5:59 PM
I likey!
I want to see more of the tools and thier home.

Jim Paulson
05-22-2009, 8:01 PM
Hey Phil,

Great suggestion. There are 3 trays and then storage area below. Don't have more pictures to offer right now, but I will explore how I can get a shot or two that shows the tools better. The chest has gotten a bit heavier since I built it.

Jim

Andy Bardowell
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Outstanding work Jim!

Phillip Bogle
05-23-2009, 1:11 AM
As one Pastor to another. Good Job! Kinda soothing to work in the wood after all those hours of people connection. I don't want to be inappropriate but there are times I would like to use my carving mallet for more than it's intended use.:D

Like your work,
Phil

Martin Shupe
05-23-2009, 1:15 AM
Jim,

I had already admired your tool chest. You did a beautiful job.

Good luck in the contest.

Jim Paulson
05-24-2009, 1:22 PM
Hi,

I am grateful that you had a chance to see my work. Guys, the supportive comments were appreciated. I love chip carving. It is so simple. Essentially one knife that is sharp and held at the right angle and then practice, pactice. Wayne Barton got me started doing it and it is one of the best things I ever did

Phil, I know where you are coming from on the mallet thing. You made me laugh.

Take care,
Jim

Ken Werner
05-27-2009, 9:32 PM
Inspiring work. Thanks for posting it.

Jim Kountz
05-28-2009, 1:27 AM
Nice work, the carving really adds to the overall appearance and makes this a special one off.
Makes me want to learn chip carving now!!

Jim Paulson
05-28-2009, 9:36 AM
Thanks Ken and Jim for the thoughtful words. I think the really cool thing :cool: about chip carving is that once you have a sharp knife, the preferred woods for carving, it boils down to practicing your skills. It isn't hard, but it helps having someone show you the technique to get started. Wayne's books are awesome and they give you the basics, but a seminar or a class will help more.

Besides reading the wood (watching grain) as you cut, I found it challenging to learn to gauge the depth of cut as I used the knife. Somehow getting three knife cuts to intersect so they cleanly remove a triangular chip is the kicker. Sometimes you have to go back and clean up a carved area, but it is sweet when you get it the first time. Another challenge is to avoid undercutting and losing wood you want to keep.:)

Take care,
Jim