PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review - WoodCraft Bandsaw Class

Dell Moore
05-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Went to the Woodcraft bandsaw class last night at my semi-local Woodcraft store in Knoxville, TN. It was on bandsaw maintanance. The bandsaw used was a Jet 14", about what I would consider standard for the average woodworking hobbiest like me.

I never realized just how ignorant I was about bandsaws, in particular the guides. The instructor, Robert, did an excellent job of going over the maintanance of the fence, without overloading us with a lot of additional info just to fill up the time. Since the class was just two people, we ended a little early, and where able to do hands on work, as well as ask a lot of general questions about various of wood working subjects and machines.

A very worthwhile class.

I look forward to my next class at Woodcraft, and I would recommend them to others who want to brush up on woodworking subjects also. I'm going to a dovertail jig class in the near future.

Dell

glenn bradley
05-22-2009, 2:23 PM
I'm sure they vary by location but when I lived near the Folsom, CA Woodcraft, I attended several of their freebies. They were always worth my time but it was a corporate store and had some clout. Anyone who is nearby and hasn't bothered should really check their local stores offering out. Alas, my (now) local Rockler's Saturday events are pretty much just commercials for whoever is presenting.

Dell Moore
05-22-2009, 3:32 PM
My store offers class, althought not free, on almost a weekly bases. The all seem to be hands on learning classes. They do have "commercial" classes on occasion, but they are not the norm.