PDA

View Full Version : Dodged the Bullet !

Tony Falotico
08-14-2004, 3:15 AM
As of twelve noon yesterday Charley was heading straight for us, looked like a direct hit coming at Lake City. Last minute turn to the east, and we totally escaped it. It's amazing how something that big and powerful, so unpredictable, can be coming right at ya' one minute then passing by the next.

Hope my fellow Floridian Creeker's were as lucky. Sounds like the Tampa guys also escaped the brunt of it.

Tyler Howell
08-14-2004, 7:42 AM
Your living right Tony, We're all happy for the save.;)

Prayers and best wishes to those less fortunate.:(

John Miliunas
08-14-2004, 9:09 AM
I was on pins 'n needles for much of the day and into the evening. When that thing turned, it headed straight for Ft. Myers. My daughter lives in Ft. Myers! :eek: I was on the phone with her, shortly before leaving work, and she was telling me about the high winds and watching "stuff" fly by their windows. Still had electricity, water and phone service. Just about the time I was telling her that I'd be calling back after I got home, the line went dead! :( It was NOT a pleasant ride home! Once here, there was a short message from her on the phone, just letting us know she's still OK! I called back and, by this time, they had lost power, but the phones and water were still good. Toward evening, it took me close to two hours to get through, as the operator's message kept saying that, "...all the lines are busy". Lots of folks trying to contact loved ones, no doubt! When I finally did get a hold of her (about 8:30 CDT), the worst had passed and they were all OK. She was actually asking ME for updates on the storm, because they don't have a battery operated radio and the power was still out. No AC, so they were getting real hot and the typical mugginess of the area was even worse now. BUT, she's OK, so at least, dad was able to get some sleep! :) I can only hope and pray that others in the area were as lucky!

Ted Shrader
08-14-2004, 9:16 AM
Tony -

Really interesting how they twist and turn. Really glad you were fortunate, but others weren't so lucky. Looks like lots of cleanup and rebuilding to restore things to normal.

Ted

Tony Falotico
08-14-2004, 9:22 AM
Know how you feel John, my daughter lives in St Petersburg, and they too were on the direct hit line earlier yesterday. Problem there is she is three weeks from delivering my 5th grandchild. Spoke with her late last night, appears they too dodged the bullet.

Hey, Jim Becker if your out there, How about your Folks in Summerfield ... I think that's still north of any major damage area, Is he down here (I remember you carried him north last month), Is everyone OK ???

Brian Hale
08-14-2004, 9:44 AM
My folks live in Ft Myers and her folks live in Port Charllote(sp?)... still can't get ahold of either of them...............

John Miliunas
08-14-2004, 10:21 AM
My folks live in Ft Myers and her folks live in Port Charllote(sp?)... still can't get ahold of either of them...............

Ouch! You're in my prayers, Brian! Just keep trying. If you keep getting the operator messages, just keep dialing. I don't know how they're sorting the incoming calls, but maybe if a line opens up long enough, you can get through. If you are getting through, but there's no answer, they went to seek shelter before the storm hit! Good luck!

Jim Becker
08-14-2004, 11:35 AM
The 'rents are here this week so they've missed the storm...but there house, just north of Orlando may have been a different story. Phone lines are tied up so far today, so they have not been able to consult with a neighbor who was looking after the place.

UPDATE: Non-event in Summerfield, too. They finally got through on the phone and there are no problems that the neighbor could see.

Cecil Arnold
08-14-2004, 1:18 PM
Tony, as someone who lives in a hurricane prone area I know how you feel, greatful the thing missed and sorry for those in its path. Glad everything turned out okay for you.

Keith Starosta
08-15-2004, 9:50 AM

Brian, I hope all is well with your folks. Thoughts and prayers, my man...

Keith

Carole Valentine
08-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh dear...my prayers are with you and your family Brian. I sure hope your parents and in-laws are OK. Let us know.

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Brian, I hope all is well with your family in Florida. That area was hit pretty hard. Hopefully, the communications problem your experiencing is merely because of downed lines, etc., and eveyone is safe. Keep us posted.

Brian Hale
08-15-2004, 2:37 PM
Thanks for your kind words, prayers and support, it's much appreaciated!

Got a hold of my folks and all is well. Small tree fell into the house and broke a couple windows, power lines still laying in the back yard but the electric company trucks are working on their street.

Tony Falotico
08-15-2004, 3:55 PM
Glad to hear everyone has heard from loved ones and about properties and all is well. :) The convoys of electric and phone trucks, all sorts of cranes and equipment (saw seven (7) flatbeds with wooden telephone poles) have been steady on I-75 since yesterday AM. A couple of people that work for me left today to do damage assessment and help coordinating repair work.

What about our friends up the coast, everyone OK?

Just like to rant for a minute about TV news and reporting ... wish those folks (Weather Channel top of the list!) would stick to reporting JUST THE FACTS, and quit trying to dramatize everything. Trying to find out what to expect in between all the BS is almost impossible.

As Joe Friday would say..... ' Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts '

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2004, 6:05 PM
Thanks for your kind words, prayers and support, it's much appreaciated!

Got a hold of my folks and all is well. Small tree fell into the house and broke a couple windows, power lines still laying in the back yard but the electric company trucks are working on their street.

Brian,

Glad to here that they are ok.....

Only one word left to say about that tree that feel.......<b>Turning-Stock!!!</B> :)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2004, 8:16 PM
Brian....glad things are well with your folks!