PDA

View Full Version : Mini-tool gloat (micro, actually)

Mike Minto
05-22-2009, 8:03 AM
Here's my most recent aquisition, two of the Sorby micro-turning tools, the spindle set and the hollowing set, both with handles. The 'roughing gouge' and skew work well on pens - haven't hollowed anything yet. My hand for scale. It's nice that Sorby offer the tool blades separately, so you don't have to pay for more handles than you'd like to have - may have to look into the texture tool and sander, too. Mike

Steve Schlumpf
05-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Mike - congrats on your micro set! I saw those when I was in Appleton a couple of weeks ago and looked to be of high quality. Should make for a great 'usable' addition to your turning tool collection!

Chris Rae
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Congrats on the tools. I have a couple of those too. I bought the hollowing blades separately and made my own handles and I love them! They do a good job.

Aaron Wingert
05-22-2009, 2:54 PM
The spiraling tool they make in that series is just plain awesome.

Mike Minto
05-22-2009, 4:14 PM
Aaron, how does the micro Sorby texturing tool (I have the large one) compare to the Wagner texturing tool for getting in tight/close quarters, do you know? It looks as though the Wagner could get right next to where a turning has a 'perpendicular' area, if you know what I mean. Mike

Chris Rae
05-22-2009, 7:12 PM
I have the micro texturing and spiraling tools and a Wagner tool also. The Wagner can get in some places pretty good but the whole tool is pretty bulky, IMO the Sorby can get in more tight places, it just depends on what you're doing. I like having both of them. Hope this helps.

Jeff Nicol
05-22-2009, 7:30 PM
Mike, I am to cheap to buy a nice looking little set like that! I like the knurled aluminum handle though. When my Dad gets his shop back together I will have him turn me some handles for my home made mini tools. He works in metal and is always looking for a fun project on the metal lathe. Show us some of your finished tiny works.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
05-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Congrats on the mini tools. Should work rather well.

Aaron Wingert
05-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Aaron, how does the micro Sorby texturing tool (I have the large one) compare to the Wagner texturing tool for getting in tight/close quarters, do you know? It looks as though the Wagner could get right next to where a turning has a 'perpendicular' area, if you know what I mean. Mike

I have both, and pretty much consider the Wagner a better paperweight than texturing tool. I'm simply unimpressed with that product and regret buying it. That being said, the Wagner would get a little closer to a perpindicular edge.