PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my new snazzy Table Saw Sled

Alex Elias
05-22-2009, 2:40 AM
First of all hello to every one. It's been a long while since my last visit. This was one of the things I meant to do for the longest time and finally, here it is. I can see it's a lot more than I need but my vision came through.
I made the fence with Alder 2 1/8" thick x 3 1/4" wide and without the extension is 37" long. With the extension is a total of 50" end to end. There is 23" to the left of the blade and 14 to the right. Once the extension is on I can crosscut up to 52" wide x 27" deep.
I took quite a few pictures of the making. If you like to see some of those I'll be glad to post some more images.
Thanks for looking at my project.
Regards,
Alex Elias

Mike Griffin
05-22-2009, 7:40 AM
Great looking project.

One question: What is the purpose of the track on the trailing edge?

Jeffrey Makiel
05-22-2009, 8:42 AM
Nice...it looks like it has all the bells and whistles too.
-Jeff :)

Stephen Edwards
05-22-2009, 9:00 AM
Great looking sled. I like the way that you included the extension for long cuts. Nice Job!

Michael Panis
05-22-2009, 9:06 AM
First of all hello to every one. It's been a long while since my last visit.

uh, how many woodworkers does it take to put that monster on your saw :confused:

Seriously, it looks very functional. Enjoy!

---Mike

Alex Berkovsky
05-22-2009, 9:11 AM
I took quite a few pictures of the making. If you like to see some of those I'll be glad to post some more images.Alex,
That's a great looking sled. Please do post more pictures; I will be making a sled soon and would like to get some ideas. Thanks.

Jerome Hanby
05-22-2009, 9:21 AM
That's one nice looking sled. Looks very well though out. I bet this post gets referenced many times in the future when more folks build sleds inspired by this one.

Eric DeSilva
05-22-2009, 9:25 AM
Looks good and has lots of interesting bells and whistles.

I'm curious about the T-Track knobs on the rail on the trailing end, however. Is the rail secured by more than just the T-Track?

Jerome Hanby
05-22-2009, 9:26 AM
Great looking project.

One question: What is the purpose of the track on the trailing edge?
Wonder if that's part of what stabilizes the extensible part of the fence?

Mitchell Andrus
05-22-2009, 9:57 AM
I would add a small box (chunk of wood) at the rear to hide the blade as the sled passes over it. An exposed blade popping out of the confines of the box is potential trouble.

Nicely done - wanna do one for me?

Matthew Hills
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Looks great!
What are the knobs on the front fence for?

Matt

Larry Fox
05-22-2009, 10:46 AM
+1 on the extra pictures and any descriptive information you are willing to provide.

I am lucky enough to have two tablesaws and want to dedicate one to crosscutting and have been looking for a good sled design.

glenn bradley
05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I would add a small box (chunk of wood) at the rear to hide the blade as the sled passes over it. An exposed blade popping out of the confines of the box is potential trouble.

Nicely done - wanna do one for me?

That is one snazzy sled with all the trimmings. Congrats. How does the fence adjust for realignment over time? Something from below?

Mitchell hit on my concern. I have a big block that the blade get's buried in. On one sled I was so intent on watching the material on the sled I actually allowed the blade to exit the block :eek:. It would be an easy add-on.

Alex Elias
05-22-2009, 3:26 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Here are some more pictures. This may answer some the questions above.
The block with 2 knobs on the back is to move it away or any where in between the sled.
The left botttom runner is aluminum and the width adjust so that one is pretty much set in the groove with no play, the right side track is oak and it's a bit narrower than the table saw groove so it rides touching the inner wall only. That way when the rear block is moved and re adjusted I just apply pressure to bring both halfs to touch the inner walls and then re adjust the knobs in the block. Also that is how I change the inserts on the sled, removing the rear block.
I'll post more pictures later showing how to lock the interchangeable inserts on the sled so they dont move side to side.

Jerome Hanby
05-22-2009, 3:56 PM
You know, that's pretty darned clever. I had to look back at the pics a few times to get it straight in my head, but that's a killer idea.

Just curious how many sleds you went through over the years to work out all these great details? Regardless of what you say, I'm going to tell myself that it was a bunch so I don't feel like a complete potato head:D

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. I'm guessing you are about to feel very flattered.

Thanks for the nice comments. Here are some more pictures. This may answer some the questions above.
The block with 2 knobs on the back is to move it away or any where in between the sled.
The left botttom runner is aluminum and the width adjust so that one is pretty much set in the groove with no play, the right side track is oak and it's a bit narrower than the table saw groove so it rides touching the inner wall only. That way when the rear block is moved and re adjusted I just apply pressure to bring both halfs to touch the inner walls and then re adjust the knobs in the block. Also that is how I change the inserts on the sled, removing the rear block.
I'll post more pictures later showing how to lock the interchangeable inserts on the sled so they dont move side to side.

Alex Elias
05-23-2009, 1:38 PM
Jerome thanks for the comment. If you like more detail pictures of the construction of the fence let me know and I'll send them to you. So far the sled it's working rgeat. I think I'll make some attachments to cut finger joints with it.
Regards,
Aelx Elias

Larry Rasmussen
05-23-2009, 2:19 PM
Alex sometimes it takes just a push to send me over the edge into starting a long put off project. I bet there will be than new sled in the group because of your post. Nicely done.

Larry Rasmussen
Seattle

Jerome Hanby
07-01-2009, 2:54 PM
Jerome thanks for the comment. If you like more detail pictures of the construction of the fence let me know and I'll send them to you. So far the sled it's working rgeat. I think I'll make some attachments to cut finger joints with it.
Regards,
Aelx Elias

I would love some more pictures. My wife informed me last night that my current crappy little sled just broke, so now would be a good time to build a new one. Plus I'm about to refurb an old Unisaw to replace my current saw and your design to hug the miter slots is a great idea!

Jason Beam
07-01-2009, 3:50 PM
Alex,

Count me in on more pics, too, please.

I'm interested in seeing how you attached the insert that you can replace - i can't see any hardware on the top surface and it doesn't look like it's in a sliding dovetail - what's the secret?! :D

Also, on the rear left, there's a knob and some T-track holding a block with a kerf in it - could you elaborate on that functionality?

Fantastic work!

Jerome Hanby
07-01-2009, 4:16 PM
It looked to me like it sits in a "rabbet" and the fences may hold it down. Be nice to know for sure.

Alex,

Count me in on more pics, too, please.

I'm interested in seeing how you attached the insert that you can replace - i can't see any hardware on the top surface and it doesn't look like it's in a sliding dovetail - what's the secret?! :D

Also, on the rear left, there's a knob and some T-track holding a block with a kerf in it - could you elaborate on that functionality?

Fantastic work!

tyler mckenzie
07-01-2009, 5:35 PM
Looking good, i'd ease all exposed edges asap. its easy to damage a big sled in a small space, also maybe adding a relief on the bottom of the fence so saw dust doesn't get trapped in between work piece and fence.

Bob Genovesi
07-02-2009, 8:37 AM
Alex,

I think it's way to big and complicated. You might become distracted with all those bells and whistles going off and get hurt. Why don't you send it to be and avoid a mishap......:D :D :D :D

Very cool sled! ;) ;)

Sean Nagle
07-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Alex, very cool sled.

I built a sled about the same size as one of my first projects. It was based on a ShopNotes plan. It also had a replaceable insert so you could use a dao blade or do bevel cuts. It enabled me to do quality work from that point on. A good crosscut sled is an absolute must... unless you happen to have a really great sliding crosscut table on your tablesaw :cool:

Glen Butler
01-31-2010, 3:01 AM
I have spent too much time building sleds as it is, but this thread makes me want to build another. Nice sled. I especially like the replacable inserts. I am surprised you used alder of all choices as it is so soft. Seems that such a permanent fixture should have been built out of a better wood.

Fred Stellabotte
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi Aelx,

Wow ! . very nice ... could you send me a copy of the photos ? (kamado@comcast.net)

Thanks
-Fred

Kevin Guarnotta
02-01-2013, 1:10 PM
Great work alex, I know I need to make a cross cut sled, but it is on my back burner...thansk for the inspiration. Any extra photos would be great, give me more to study.
I also notice this thread is an old one...now that you have been using it for years, any tips or changes you would make?