PDA

View Full Version : Printer back log

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-22-2009, 1:43 AM
Hi Techies,

I have an Epilog 24x12 35watt and are still pretty new.
Periodically the printer /fax manager senses an error in the next job I am sending to the Laser (printer). The only way to clear it is to turn of the Epilog and turn on again.

Sometimes I can go a whole morning job after job........next day a problem with every one or two.

Will turning the Epilog on and off multiple times a day hurt it?
Any idea's why it's doing it nb It could very well be me being stupid!!!
Its connected via USB ...will an etha net connection help?

Thanks once again.

Ian.

PS I will post some pics of my projects for your comments as I am nearly getting confident enough to advertise...I have loved every minute of this huge continuous learning curve which you guys have been a very large part.

Frank Corker
05-22-2009, 4:34 AM
That's an interesting question, will be glad for one of the laser company members to make the real reply on it.

I think if you are getting regular problems where the job is getting errors that it might be in the way the info is sent to the laser. USB used to cause me those problems, ethernet does not. Also an ethernet connection is not restricted by distance, where USB is a tad dodgy over 1 metre. Another reason might be from your computer and other conflicts, there is only one way to tell and that is to make a list of programs running when the problem occurs and see if a pattern evolves. Illiminating one program at a time from that equation might give you your result.

Turning the machine on and off is the one that I would be interested in hearing from the experts. I think the machine would run more efficiently if it is left on constantly, just as a computer does, but personally the drone would drive me bonkers in my small confines. I currently switch it on and turn it off as and when I need it. When I purchased my Epilog from (and I'm not advertising here) Identify Engraving they were constantly switching the machine on and off throughout the day and did not appear to have issues. More than one of the machines was several years old and was still giving no problems.

Mike Null
05-22-2009, 6:46 AM
Why don't you re-install your Epilog drivers.

My laser has always been about 12 feet from my computer and even when I used a parallel cable I had no problem. I use usb now.

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-22-2009, 7:13 AM
I turn my laser off when I am not burning anything. Its just too darn lound to keep it on all the time. Turning a normal days use it probably gets turned on and off 40 times. I saw nothing in the manual that stated this was bad for the machine. I have noticed that if it is off for a long period of time when I turn it on it some times will missfire for the first second or two.

Michael Wintermute
05-22-2009, 7:29 AM
Generaly speaking when any electronic equipment, from a ten dollar radio to a million dollar CNC machine, one of the toughest things to do to it is to power it on and off.
Think of how hot a light bulb gets the split second that it is turned on.
That is simular to what the control is going through each time you cycle power.

Mike

Stephen Beckham
05-22-2009, 9:35 AM
Wow - glad I read all those before I responded, I was going to say "I agree with Michael..." which I do on both of their responses, but mainly Michael V... I'd love to hear from Peck or one of his crew on this one.

I spent 20 years in electronic repair, design and testing for the Army and early in my career we encouraged allowing equipment to run continuously, but it was due to wear and tear on the actual switching components in the power supplies. Later on once we started using far more advanced switching and isolated power supplies (lowered chances of sending jolts through the systems) we encouraged cycling power at times to reduce heat buildup which could be just as damaging when ran too long. Personally, I've never feared turning my laser on and off multiple times a day. I may get closer to 20 times a day or less.

Unless Peck and crew can trump me and warn me otherwise - I'll keep turning it on and off, the only worry to have is to make sure the fans stop completely before switching back on. Some cooling fans can inverse and run backwards if they are switched back on while still running - bad ju-ju for the cooling effect.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-22-2009, 6:53 PM
Thanks a million..... I have an IT mate who is visiting in the next day or two. I'll get him to run the ethernet and get him to reload the Print Driver..........if it still occurs I'll keep track of what programmes are open.

His thoughts ( without seeing it) are the Laser goes into a sleep mode when idle and then when you send a new file it hasn't woken up.

Mike Null
05-22-2009, 7:03 PM
With only my own experience to call on I am one who prefers to leave the laser running. If I leave the premises then I turn it off but otherwise it runs.

My tubes average more than 3 years of life and I haven't had any other issues. (current tube is 3 years old and seems to be as good as new)