PDA

View Full Version : How many computers do you have?

James Jaragosky
05-22-2009, 1:13 AM
How many computer do you have in your shop / home?
I ask because my wife thinks I have to many. basically she uses a computer at work, and once a week at home for email. I on the other hand, use one to operate my cnc router, one for my laser, one for design work, one for gaming and home stuff; my two sons each have a desk top and we just got a lap top as a graduation present for the one starting college. and one p4 bacK up for the shop
that's eight:eek: I guess when I say it that way it does sound like over kill.:D

Peter Luch
05-22-2009, 3:25 AM
Laptop in the garage to research stuff without coming in the house
Desktop for everyday stuff
Laptop for wifey
Kids each have a Mac laptop for school and they each have a PC desktop.

Aloha, Pete

Todd Trebuna
05-22-2009, 6:59 AM
Phew. I thought I was bad. :) 2 Desktops and 2 Laptops.
A laptop for wifey and her embroidery. One for me, work and play.
A desktop that is more like a server and the kids share a desktop.

Jason Roehl
05-22-2009, 7:48 AM
I have 2.1. Two desktops and a recently-dead laptop, which will likely (hopefully) get replaced this summer. I may also add another desktop if I can find a good used one at the right price--Purdue Univ. has a salvage shop.

Joe Pelonio
05-22-2009, 8:19 AM
I said more than 5 because it was there, we have exactly 5. Two in the shop, daughter's room, wife's sewing room and a laptop that we use in the family room while watching TV. That doesn't count the 3 old ones we still have in a closet.

Steve Southwood
05-22-2009, 8:52 AM
Same as Joe, we have 5. Desktop in shop in garage, has ext harddrive attached to hold pictures and stuff. Each of us, myself, wife and 2 daughters, has a laptop.

Jason Roehl
05-22-2009, 8:58 AM
Hey, Joe, I think that means that you should have checked "3 or more". ;) :D

Jason

Joe Pelonio
05-22-2009, 9:01 AM
Hey, Joe, I think that means that you should have checked "3 or more". ;) :D

Jason
Well, I guess at 5am I was not quite awake!:rolleyes:

Rob Russell
05-22-2009, 9:02 AM
Just 1 laptop. The old desktop in "my room" that's waiting to be recycled doesn't count.

Jim O'Dell
05-22-2009, 9:03 AM
I have one, my wife has 2 for her music business, and needs a laptop to take to conventions. I have parts for another one except a monitor, that will eventually go to the shop. Jim.

Al Willits
05-22-2009, 9:08 AM
Three in house, two desktop, one laptop.
I have three desktops in garage but I really only count one, they all work but I will make one out of three to hook up to my sound system out there.

I remember my first comp didn't even have a hard drive and ya had to insert a floppy in it to run, we've come a long way since then..:D

Al

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:38 AM
My personal machine
Professor Dr. SWMBO's personal machine
My work laptop (in a docking station)
Professor Dr. SWMBO's work laptop
Two iPhones; mine and hers (yea, I count them as computers... :D)
Girl's computer in the study room
Two decrepit laptops that the girls play with...functional, but with no Internet access.
One Sun workstation that hasn't been turned on in many years.

Lee DeRaud
05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
3+

Laptop on the kitchen desk for email, financial, and general use.
Desktop in the study with the big screen for design, photography, and music.
Desktop (previous 'study' machine) in the spare bedroom to drive the laser.
And the old 'laser' machine (minue some critical parts) in the closet that I'm too lazy to haul to Goodwill.

Jamie Delker
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Just two, a Toshiba laptop that's my main, and a desktop that is going to get Windows 7 RC this weekend.

If I counted computers at work I'm responsible for, it'd be closer to 40. :)

Bruce Page
05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Two, if I count my work laptop.
Plus two outdated one's that are collecting dust..

Burt Alcantara
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm thinking you're referring to a "standard" computer with keyboard, monitor, hard drive, RAM & optional accessories such as mouse, speakers, DVD/CD, stiffy. Otherwise, for the purist, a computer is a CPU which can be found in everything - cars, fridge, calculator, phone, PDA, clock, phone, headphones, remotes, cameras, lasers, and so on.

Standard computers:
2 full time desktops
1 part time laptop
2 not up computers to be used for routers, firewalls, and RAID as soon as I can get off my behind.

Dan Mages
05-22-2009, 6:04 PM
Two computers here. A laptop that does not have a functioning monitor and an old desktop that collects dust.

Dan

Chris Padilla
05-22-2009, 6:19 PM
Well, let's see: 1 laptop each for the wife and me and an old 486/66 that's been in a box for the last 10 years.

Technically, the laptops my wife and I have are company computers so I'm not sure how much they count in this survey.

Jason Roehl
05-22-2009, 7:03 PM
Two iPhones; mine and hers (yea, I count them as computers... :D)

Ooooh...I didn't count mine...it IS a computer in its own right. My mistake.

I had some reservations about the iPhone, but now that I have one, I use the heck out of it. Very cool, very intuitive, very user-friendly. It just works.

Jason Beam
05-22-2009, 7:11 PM
How many computer do you have in your shop / home?
I ask because my wife thinks I have to many. basically she uses a computer at work, and once a week at home for email. I on the other hand, use one to operate my cnc router, one for my laser, one for design work, one for gaming and home stuff; my two sons each have a desk top and we just got a lap top as a graduation present for the one starting college. and one p4 bacK up for the shop
that's eight:eek: I guess when I say it that way it does sound like over kill.:D

Bah .. yer just gettin' started.

As I type this, on my laptop, there's my file server to my left. My mail server to it's left. My firewall server upon it. My wife's laptop is 4 feet from me. My father's laptop is temporarily to my left as well.

In my living room sits another laptop for use in piping music to my good stereo system.

In my shop lies yet another laptop so I don't have to run into the house for my SketchUp designs.

In the closet to my right are ... hang on ... lemme count ...

Six ... functioning desktop machines that will be given uses in the future (CNC stuff, mostly. Possibly media pc and maybe one for the back room where the other stereo lives).

So 8 in active duty ... with 6 more to come one day - 14.

Yer just gettin' started :D

Jamie Buxton
05-22-2009, 7:31 PM
Just one. That's all I find necessary. It is a desktop that does design work, bookkeeping, surfing, and email.
And my cell just does phone calls, so I don't think you'd consider it a computer.

Matt Meiser
05-22-2009, 9:50 PM
Lets see...
1 desktop the shop
1 laptop for family use
1 ancient desktop for my daughter. Pretty much not used anymore.
1 Windows Home Server machine
1 machine running PFSense as my router
1 laptop for my work (not mine, but lives here full time)
1 laptop for wife's work (only visits part time)

So 5-1/2?

Then there's a multitude of other microprocessor based devices like phones, printers, network gear, DVR, TV, etc.

David Drickhamer
05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Well lets see.

A desktop used as a server
My laptop
My laptop I use for travel (10" display) cute little sucker.
Wifes new laptop
Wifes old laptop that's going in the shop
Desktop that's going to get connected to TV
And last but not least, Grand daughters laptop sitting unopened waiting as a high school graduation gift. But this one doesn't count so I guess that makes 6.

Joe Pelonio
05-22-2009, 11:45 PM
One of you reminded me, when my daughter and son-in-law return from Italy next month they will stay here while looking for their own place, so add to our 5 their 2 for a total of 7.