PDA

View Full Version : What woods complement hickory?

Greg Magone
05-22-2009, 12:53 AM
I am building a router table from MDF and used a hickory face frame. (Think bathroom vanity, that is what my router table looks like).

I need to cover the sides of the cabinet with some plywood as I have bare MDF right now. What types of inexpensive plywood would complement the hickory face frame?

I could use hickory plywood, but I think that is expensive. I did look into hickory veneer and that is very expensive.

I can also use pine plywood and stain to the right color, but I'm not sure that'd look very good.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Danny Hellyar
05-22-2009, 3:42 AM
I did my kitchen cabinets in hickory years ago when Hickory wasn't popular yet.. In fact you couldn't even get plywood in Hickory at that time, but I was able to find some Ash plywood that matched up very well. You'll just have to go to a decent lumber store and take some scraps with you and try to find some less expensive ply to match. you could probably find some door skin material that would compliment Hickory. I believe it's slightly over 1/8" in thickness.

John Keeton
05-22-2009, 6:17 AM
Greg, at the risk of sounding like a heretic, why not just paint the mdf? It is an excellent surface to paint. My experience is that it should be sealed first with shellac or it will soak up paint like a sponge.

Unless you spring for hickory, or some contrasting wood (walnut?, maple?), I don't think anything cheap will look better than a contrasting painted surface.

Please understand that my preference would be matching hickory, but you said "inexpensive."

John Thompson
05-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Ash and hickory ply isn't necessarily cheap. I agree with John K. as about every cabinet on a power tool in my shop is shop made and I painted the MDF ply. If you want a very durable coat.. go with Porch and Floor. The paint is really all that is necessary. I would save the good stuff for the real deal that will be diplayed.

Sarge..

Lee Schierer
05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
If you don't mind the fake seams, go to the local borg and buy a piece of pecan paneling and make flat panels for your sides.

Fred Hargis
05-22-2009, 1:49 PM
I had to make some hickory frame and panel bi-fold doors and found regular birch can sometimes have a grain/coloring that comes really close.

Cody Colston
05-22-2009, 3:52 PM
Expense aside, I think Hickory and Ash are very complimentary. There is a Hickory and Ash blanket chest on the cover of FWW issue No. 203 that is absolutely stunning...very classy looking.