PDA

View Full Version : MmmmmmmM12v gloat.

Pete Harbin
08-14-2004, 1:20 AM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the M12V for my router table. I just received it today from Amazon. I haven't mounted it in the table yet, or fired it up, but I did tinker with the free accessories Amazon included. Looks like there will definately be some play time in the shop tomorrow. This will make for a major upgrade from the PC 690 I have in the table now. I was using the DW621 in the table for a while, but I really like it for handheld use and didn't want to keep switching out bases, so I've gone with the PC for the last 8 or 9 months.

Pete

Bob Marino
08-14-2004, 7:16 AM
Pete,

I am considering that router for table use also. Let us know what you think after you get it set up and running.

Bob

James Carmichael
08-14-2004, 8:02 AM
Pete,

I am considering that router for table use also. Let us know what you think after you get it set up and running.

Bob

I hear almost unanimously good reviews of the M12, it looks an excellent value.

Pictures, Pete, a good gloat needs pictures!

John Miliunas
08-14-2004, 8:37 AM
Pete,

Bob

Bob, I guess I don't know any different, because that's the ONLY router I've ever had mounted in either of my tables! It's done a super job in either installation. Plenty of oooooomph, soft start, easy in/out of the bits (doesn't have the "double-lock" style like on my Freud) and heavy duty. :)

Pete, congrats! I really think you'll like it and enjoy it! I like my 690, but it's "handiest" (punn intended) for handheld use. Report back after you take it for a spin! (So many punns, so little time! :) ) :cool:

Herb Blair
08-14-2004, 9:43 AM
I bought a M12V off of EBAY (reconditioned). I looks like a new one with accessories. I replaced a dewalt 625 in my table of which I had worn out the bearings and it was running hot. The M12 works great, I like it as well, if not better than the 625.
I don't think you can go wrong with the M12V

Mark Singer
08-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I have the M-12 and really like it! The Freud is very similar and I still have that one for hand held use ( it used to be in the router table) . It is powerful and consistent.

JayStPeter
08-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Another vote for the M12V here. Got mine refurb off ebay for @ $110 including shipping.
The woodpeck plungelift and bent wrench make it awesome in the table.

Jay

Pete Harbin
08-14-2004, 3:12 PM
Hopefully I can get it set up tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I'll break out the digital camera for the obligatory gloat photo. I was hoping to do it this morning, but we're knee deep in budgeting for next year at work and I'm the forecast guy, sooooooo I'm playing with numbers today instead of a router. :(

I went back up to Amazon to pilfer a photo of the M12V to post in a thank you e-mail to LOML's sister and brother-in-law (Birthday Money contribution!) and I noticed the price has gone up. I ordered it at $161 on Tuesday and it's posted today at $174.99. I've never had reverse buyers remorse over price before. The big surprise was that I opted for the free super-saver shipping and it still arrived in two days! I guess I can't complain about having to work today since I wasn't expecting the router until next week...........but I will :p

Pete

Jim Young
08-15-2004, 4:37 PM
I've had that router in my table for about four years now. First thing I did was take the springs out. I too replaced my PC690 and made it just a hand held. once you swing the big bits you notice the difference right away.

David Wilson
08-15-2004, 4:52 PM
I own 2 MV12's and am very satisfied. The one mounted in table has springs removed and
I cut out the bushing mount to accomidate large bits. The only tricky thing about removing the springs is to not lose the little brass piece which is part of the lock for the plunge function. Also, you should put tape over the tube ends so they don't fill up with saw dust.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-15-2004, 5:18 PM
Congrats on the new high performance spinner! I've heard nothing but good things bout the M12.

John, you are the Punmaster!

Pete Rosenbohm
08-15-2004, 6:47 PM
Also have the M12 in my table, have the 690 for handheld and a couple of var. speed Sears routers setup just for dovetails only.:)

Pete Harbin
08-15-2004, 10:22 PM
Two minutes for gloating without a picture!? Come on ref!

Still no time to fire up the Hitachi today (Big budget meetings start tomorrow morning), however, to keep myself out of the penalty box I did snap a quick photo.

Here's a pic of the new addition just waiting for it's own base for the router table.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9538&stc=1

And here's a pic of the whole family. Notice the different models, different colors, some are plunge, some are older than others, or bigger than others...yet they all live in the same shop in harmony. :D

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9539&stc=1

I already felt good about buying the Hitachi, but all these extra "thmubs ups" really make me feel good about the purchase. I'm really looking forward to expanding my woodworking by using larger profile bits, and even doing some experimenting with templates.

Pete

Pete Harbin
08-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Pete,

I also use an old Craftsman exclusively for dovetails. It's about 28 - 29 years old and runs like a champ.

Chris Padilla
08-16-2004, 3:05 PM
Pete,

Head over to John Lucas' "Woodshopdemos" website and do a search on that router there (scroll just a hair to the Google sign). John has done a few very nice modifications to his that I think will interest you.

www.woodshopdemos.com (http://www.woodshopdemos.com)

Have Fun!