PDA

View Full Version : buckeye burl

jim carter
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
i dug up a small burl about 12" diameter and am working on digging up 1 that is 4' across[will take me a few days]. the 1 i have is all light colored, no black or blue . i cut the burl into a 6" thick x 12x12 slab, coated with mayonaise and sealed in a black plastic bag and will let sit in the sun for a month. the blue and black color comes from a mold. i have seen light colored burls turned blue and black with mayonaise before. once i have the 4' dug up, will take some pictures.

David Walser
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I've never heard of using mayo for spalting wood before. If it doesn't work. Try mustard. (I've heard there's some kind of rivalry amongst turners related to mayo and mustard. Maybe this is the origin of the controversy, which condiment is better for spalting wood?)

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Jim,

Let us know how it works.

I'm a miracle whip fan myself!

CW McClellan
05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
If you fellers ever tried "DUKES" mayonase--ya would move SOUTH just where ya could buy it :D

jim carter
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I've never heard of using mayo for spalting wood before. If it doesn't work. Try mustard. (I've heard there's some kind of rivalry amongst turners related to mayo and mustard. Maybe this is the origin of the controversy, which condiment is better for spalting wood?)

Good luck with it. Let us know how it goes.

i have a friend who made clocks and tables out of buckeye and he used mayo on the buckeye that had no color variation. it turned black and blue everytime. i never heard of using mustard but if it molds on the wood, it should work but would the yellow dye the wood.i have seen pine that was blue and the color comes from mold growing between the bark and the wood. i wonder if mayo would work with other woods. any thoughts or knowledge on this subject?

Aaron Wingert
05-22-2009, 2:52 PM
I'd have to opt for the mustard option because I hate mayo with every fiber of my being and can't stand being within a few feet of it. Even if mayo creates wood miracles I'm afraid I'd have to stick with mediocrity!