PDA

View Full Version : Any updates on the Laguna 18/47?

Al Stramiello
05-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I'm well aware of the history of the Laguna 18/47. I've read every thread and post that I could find regarding the lathe. But, I'd like to hear from people who have recently purchased the 18/47 . . . like in the last 6 months. If you are an actual owner of the Laguna 18/47, how about letting us know what your experience has been with both the lathe itself and Laguna's customer service.

Gordon Seto
05-22-2009, 4:14 AM
Al,

Welcome for your 1st post since 2006.

Al Stramiello
05-22-2009, 7:23 AM
Al,

Welcome for your 1st post since 2006.

Thanks, Gordon . . . . I visit often but I just kind of keep quiet unless I have something worthwhile to contribute. My first post since 2006 .... I guess that tells you how much I have to offer.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-22-2009, 4:26 PM
I'm just curious, why do you want one so badly? I would have not waited 3 years to buy anything I wanted. You could have saved up enough bucks by now to get a PM 3520. Or spent a few hundred more and gotten the Jet 1642, it's only a little smaller.

Al Stramiello
05-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Kyle ... I think you may have misread what I said. I haven't been waiting three years to buy an 18/47. I'm just interested in finding out from recent owners what their experience has been.

The comment about the three years was in reference to my having been a member since 2006 but only now am I making my first post.

Nigel Tracy
05-23-2009, 9:10 AM
Hi Al,

I recently posted the following thread about my new lathe, which is a carbon copy of the Laguna 18/47.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112362

At a recent woodworking show in Toronto the two lathes were side by side and virtually identical down to the nuts and bolts.

I've had it now for a few weeks and roughed out numerous large bowls. I can say that it's solid performer. It's quiet and smooth. I've put it through its paces. I've tried to stall it out at low rpms, but honestly can't. I think the tools would snap first. And speaking of low speeds it goes below 5 rpms, which is sometimes useful.

I'm pretty happy so far. And I'd be glad to answer any specific questions you have :)

Nigel

Kyle Iwamoto
06-04-2009, 7:22 PM
Bumping the post from long ago....

I just noticed that Laguna has a banner ad here. Made me remeber this thread.

Al, did you pull the trigger yet? Just curious..... Update if you did?

I pulled the trigger on a new (used) table saw, so I'm out of the big lathe market now. I was interested in this lathe. Seemed like a good deal.

Al Stramiello
06-04-2009, 7:47 PM
Yep . . . after mulling it over . . . and I do mean mull . . . I decided to go with the 18/47. As much as I wanted a 3520b, I just couldn't justify the price differential. I spoke at length, numerous times, with the people at Laguna and was assured that customer service and support would not be a problem. They gave me a great price with free shipping. So, I pulled the trigger.

The lathe arrived yesterday and is sitting partially uncrated in my garage. I'll make time this weekend to unpack it and haul it around the backyard to my shop. Just getting it into my shop is going to be a job.

You can rest assured that I will keep updating the forum on my experiences with the lathe and customer support. If I made a mistake, you'll hear about it and so will Laguna. If everything works out fine . . . you'll hear that as well.

Mark Norman
06-04-2009, 9:00 PM
I hope it serves you well for many years and hundreds of bowls.

Be sure to show us what you make with it.

alex carey
06-05-2009, 1:19 AM
I know they've had a lot of problems but I truly hope they have turned it around and your lathe is spectacular because the specs certainly are great for the price.

Jim Underwood
06-05-2009, 7:31 AM
You know what they say about pictures.

No pix, didn't happen... ;)

:D

John W Dixon
06-05-2009, 5:12 PM
You can rest assured that I will keep updating the forum on my experiences with the lathe and customer support. If I made a mistake, you'll hear about it and so will Laguna. If everything works out fine . . . you'll hear that as well.

I like your attitude on this. You should trumpet good or bad. Oh and I agree with Jim, we need pictures.

John

Bill Bolen
06-05-2009, 8:19 PM
Good luck to you! I really hope they have turned things around as the spec's and price make it a prospective great lathe for the turning community. I'll be looking for your updates...Bill..

Dennis Richardson
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Like others, I really don't want to pay the $3k for the PM 3520 and the Laguna 18/47 has some good specs for the price. I could use any feedback from anyone who has turned with it. Thank you in advance.
Dennis - 310 595-2206

earl timmons
07-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I started posting here a year or so ago and found many wonderful friends and got some great help from several people on vacuum systems and choosing a bandsaw. Some may remember that one of my last posts mentioned that my son-in-law was struggling with a cancer diagnosis. It has gotten far worse and in fact is terminal. This has kept me out of the shop for months. I mention this only to explain why no posts. I simply have not been in the shop.

I have however continued to read the forums when I get a chance. I have stayed away from the Laguna comments only because on this forum and others it has some time gotten a bit out of control. I am well aware of the history and I can only shake my head in utter amazement at the experience that some owners of the 18/47 have had. I would not and am not suggesting it was other than what it was for them. In some of the few posts that I made it was obvious what lathe I had but in only one did I comment on my experience with it.

I can only briefly (the night is late and I am tired) tell you my experience. I recieved my lathe in Feb of 2008. I have turned many items on it ranging from pens to seventeen inch diameter six inch thick wet red oak and walnut. When I first got the lathe I had some problems with the tool rest and the banjo as well as a chuck I purchased from them. I always recieved reasonable service from them. I don't know that I would call it world class but it was satisfactory. All of the problems were resolved. I had one of the very first of these lathes and will soon have owned it for a year and a half. I like the lathe, it has the power, capacity and function I wanted. I have been able to adapt it to vacuum easily. The price was right, the service has been OK.

You can find some of my posts by simply searching on my name. If you are really interested in discussing the lathe further your welcome to send me a message and although I am not on often I am on reasonably regular.

The day will come when I have turning time again and I will be back to posting. I have managed to schedule a trip to Omaha this coming weekend for two days with Bill Grumbine, I hope I get a chance to brush up before then. If my son-in-law is stable on Friday I am going to take the chance and go.