PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about buying engraved works

Brian Kent
05-21-2009, 10:39 PM
First off, I do not currently have any job I need done.

I would like to find out about buying an engraved piece in advance, so that I know when a plaque or anything else will fill a need at my work.

I work at a church, so we every year will have a need for some signs, a couple of honorary plaques, a going away gift for a 50 year member, or an outdoor dedication. One of your posts got me to thinking about next year's 100th scout anniversary, which we will need something to commemorate.

Where would I find out some advance info about how much a work of some typical size would cost?

I need just a little info in advance because the choices often come quickly in a meeting as we are free-floating ideas. I'd like to be able to say that for so much money we could get such and such an engraving with a picture and a photo or whatever. We could settle on exact costs when we order but it wouldn't even be considered unless I have an approximate price range.

So give me a starting place, a wild approximation or an example, so that I can potentially send some business your way.

My church is always looking for a fair price for all parties, not a deal that makes the artist sacrifice.

Brian

Frank Corker
05-22-2009, 4:19 AM
Wow Brian, question is as open as 'How long is a piece of string'. I would suggest that you have a look at some of the Members List web sites and get an idea from there. Materials, detail invovled in putting your idea together, lasering time and that's just scraping the edge for getting a price for an individual job.

Most members if you click on their name, choose 'View public Profile' and then 'about me' is where you should look.
I'm not one of them by the way, I don't advertise.

Stephen Beckham
05-22-2009, 9:14 AM
...and Frank charges and arm and a leg for shipping to any of us 'on-landers'

I agree with his comments - you can search many sites on line and get a varying price from X - Z on the same item made in different locations, then difference in shipping and artwork charges. Being in CA, you my pay another premium out there because of location and environmental issues (I'll reserve my comments on you guys and your taxes....)

You'd really have to get specific. For instance - how much for a 8X10 plaque with a photograph of the church and few lines of text? But wait; real wood or pressed wood? Normal finish or Piano finish? Is picture going to be laser etched or in full color? On metal plate? Would that be solid Brass or Brass coated aluminum? What kind of photo can you provide - is it art ready or just off of the digital camera? Are these going to be mass produced or just a one-off for a single purchase?

It's crazy out there when you start talking options. By the way - from my stand point - you could be in the range of $18ish to $48ish from the different combinations of options listed above.

Brian Kent
05-23-2009, 12:59 PM
It's crazy out there when you start talking options. By the way - from my stand point - you could be in the range of $18ish to $48ish from the different combinations of options listed above.

I realize you are right that I am asking a ridiculous question without enough specifics. But you just gave me a starter answer that I wanted. If the need arises in a meeting and I can say, "Let's look at laser engraving. It's under $50 for an 8x10 brass on wood", that's all I need for now.

Is that realistic, or should I say "about $100" as a starter? (A member recently wanted an outdoor memorial plaque and said "Here's $200. Is that enough?" I hadn't thought about Creekers doing this so I just handed the job to the office manager and said 'Figure out where to get this done'".)

Here's example of a need, with some of the categories you listed. And I'm not looking for quotes or competitive bids, but for the price range that makes it worthwhile or your work:

8X10 plaque with a photograph of the church and few lines of text.
Real wood (a standard hardwood).
Normal finish.
Laser etched / not color.
Brass coated aluminum.
Art ready according to your specs.
One-off for a single purchase.

Brian

Stephen Beckham
05-27-2009, 7:18 AM
8X10 plaque with a photograph of the church and few lines of text.
Real wood (a standard hardwood).
Normal finish.
Laser etched / not color.
Brass coated aluminum.
Art ready according to your specs.
One-off for a single purchase.

Brian

Brian - sorry for delay in answering - I've been blessed with abundant amount of work lately and I haven't been getting in the creek that much lately.

According to what you have there, my personal opinion is that you would not pay more than $40. The only additional costs would be artwork conversion of the church from a photo to a laserable format. I don't charge extra for that, but most stores do charge for additional work when having to convert the picture. Good luck!

Bill Cunningham
05-28-2009, 9:16 PM
I would be about $80.00 (complete) + shipping, but thats 'Canadian' :D

Dan Hintz
05-29-2009, 7:26 AM
I would be about $80.00 (complete) + shipping, but thats 'Canadian' :D
I looked on all of my shipper's websites, but no one could give me a quote for shipping a complete Cunningham. The $80 flat fee seems reasonable enough, but those shipping costs always get you in the end.

Bill Cunningham
05-30-2009, 8:22 PM
I looked on all of my shipper's websites, but no one could give me a quote for shipping a complete Cunningham. The $80 flat fee seems reasonable enough, but those shipping costs always get you in the end.

I'm easy, but I'm not cheap... :p

Mike Null
05-31-2009, 6:57 AM
I believe Steve is right on the mark with his price. When you look at various internet sites the pricing is a lot lower than you would think. These are not ultra high volume sites but ordinary engravers in your markets.