PDA

View Full Version : finish over BLO

Mike Pittenger
05-21-2009, 10:11 PM
I know this question gets asked a lot and I've reviewed the threads until I came down with brainlock.

I'm finishing a cherry coffee table for my daughter. 3 coats of Tried and True Danish oil on the legs/aprons, 5 coats on the top. I was going to just apply wax, but am concerned there isn't enough protection on the top. I've put a coat of shellac on a test piece, but it looks dull/uneven to my eye.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian Kent
05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I have had success with one or two coats of dewaxed shellac and several coats of wipe-on poly. All but the last are very lightly sanded with 400+. Wax on the very top when you are sure it's dry.

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:57 AM
Which formula of the T&T did you use? There are three.

The oil-only version absolutely can be top coated with no issue once it's cured. I do it all the time, generally starting with de-waxed shellac and if I want a more "durable" finish, I'll then shoot on Target coatings water borne. If you use a varnish product, you can wipe or brush it on directly over the oil if you prefer, once the oil has cured.

The oil/bee's wax version isn't the best for top coating, although you may be able to put shellac over it.

The "varnish oil" product (the one I don't like one bit) is pretty finicky. I've never tried to top-coat it, but it may need to be abraded slightly after it fully cures before top coating. I'd absolutely suggest a barrier coat of de-waxed shellac over that if you plan on other finishes just to be sure there are no incompatibilities.

Prashun Patel
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Not as familiar with the tried and true products as is Jim, but I humbly suggest that a coffee table for a teenager might need a little more than shellac can offer.

If your product is truly BLO or some variant with thinner and varnish, you should be able to apply an oil varnish right on top and skip the shellac step. You should test that, though.

Also, if you really want shellac, then the first couple coats of shellac CAN be uneven as it seals and absorbs. Don't get overzealous and try to compensate by putting on thick coats. Just keep doing thin coats, and you'll see the sheen get even.