PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-21-2009, 8:17 PM
My Ray Ban aviator cable ear sunglasses were stolen at a restaurant by the wait staff. I had 'em for ever. They were perfectly broke in.

I tried to replace 'em, but Ray Ban discontinued my size and replaced 'em with a cable ear set that is sized for the face of a 12 year old girl and calles 'em unisex. Thanks.

So after a lengthily search I found Randolph Engineering Aviators with the Cables. They weren't cheap and you gotta pay more for polarization.

Call me crazy but I aviators with the cable ear pieces.

I will never drop another $400.00 on a meal at that restaurant again and I shall speak ill of them at every opportunity. I wouldn't feel this way except that when I asked the owner for help she acted like it was not her problem.

Stephen Tashiro
05-21-2009, 8:47 PM
Get your vision checked and then get prescription sun glasses. That way it is unlikely that anyone who steals your sunglasses will get much use out of them.

Jim Rimmer
05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Not a theft of glasses but had a similar attempt at out and out robbery a few years ago. My wife and I went out with another couple for dinner each couple paying their own bil. Checks came, I gave hin a credit card, other guy gave cash. Bill returned and both were on my cc. I motioned to waiter to explain what happened and before i could say a word he said, "Oh, I'll fix that." So he already knew what was wrong. How many people had he bilked that way. If you go in, have a few drinks, a nice meal, and don't examine your bill - wham - you pay for all of it and the cash goes in his pocket. :eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Cliff.....You are paying too much for those RayBans!

I have prescription Ray Ban cable aviators....and they didn't cost $400.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Cliff.....You are paying too much for those RayBans!

I have prescription Ray Ban cable aviators....and they didn't cost $400.

It was the meal for which I paid $400.00. The meal and the robbery.
Package deal come in eat up and be robbed.

John Shuk
05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I swear by Revo sunglasses. Try them on and you will see why. Maui Jim also makes great glasses I'm told.

Chris Padilla
05-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I've had a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses for about 5 years now. I sent them in about a year ago for "refurbishing" and they basically replaced everything (I had dropped them enough times to finally scratch some coating off of the lenses) for $70 and they are back to being great again.

Jerome Hanby
05-22-2009, 10:48 AM
I got tired of paying good money for gargoyles that were getting crappier quality wise every time I needed a new pair. I bought cheap sunglasses for awhile, but never liked them and they never lasted long. Then a few months ago, I noticed that the safety glasses that I like and buy at Woodcraft now came in a very dark tint! Been using them ever since. Fit great, wrap around enough that I have no problems from the side, tough as nails, and less than 10 buck a pair!

glenn bradley
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
+1 on Maui Jims. That layered lens is voodoo magic. I can't afford them for my Rx suglasses but have a couple pairs for recreation.

Jamie Delker
05-22-2009, 2:00 PM
Before I started at Oneida, I was a business analyst at a large eyecare company, and had a great (read: almost free) eyecare plan. I could have gotten Maui Jims but I would have actually had to have paid some out of pocket expense, so I opted to get a blue tint/blue mirror set of lenses to go into another frame, the exact same as my regular glasses. Now the only thing I worry about is if I lose or break them myself.

Andy Bardowell
05-22-2009, 3:48 PM
Major Bummer, no respect man.

Sorry I couldn’t help it.

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses.

Andrew Derhammer
05-23-2009, 10:27 AM
I would have told the owner I was going to get the police in here to investigate the theft. If she was smart she wouldn't want police in activity in what sounds like a fancy resteraunt.

Carlos Alden
05-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Cliff:

You sound like you're set on aviators, but you might try a backpacking-type store and see what's out there if you haven't already. I'm thinking somewhere like REI. Sunglasses made for outdoor sports pursuits are more comfortable and functional than consumer-grade mass-market shades. I've got a dorky-looking pair of very dark glacier glasses I've had for 25 years that I can't seem to lose. They're bullet-proof and so comfortable that I just forget they're on when I wear them.

But a few years ago, in giving up the fight against aging, I bought a very comfortable pair of prescription aviators. I took a chance, went against the optician's advice, and had them made with my non-progressive bifocal cut. I love them, and wear them driving, walking, hiking, and most importantly sailing. I am never bothered by the bifocal part, and being prescription I can see when I'm about to run into someone while I'm on port tack. (sailing joke)

Carlos

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2009, 12:15 PM
I would have told the owner I was going to get the police in here to investigate the theft. If she was smart she wouldn't want police in activity in what sounds like a fancy resteraunt.

Some how I doubt the local cops would care.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I bought a very comfortable pair of prescription aviators. I took a chance, went against the optician's advice, and had them made with my non-progressive bifocal cut. I love them, and wear them driving, walking, hiking, and most importantly sailing. I am never bothered by the bifocal part, and being prescription I can see when I'm about to run into someone while I'm on port tack. (sailing joke)
Carlos

I can't imagine why the optician objected. Aviators are perfect for bifocals.
The lower part of the lens is plenty large enough to let you split the lens without ever interfering with long vision.

Carlos Alden
05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I can't imagine why the optician objected. Aviators are perfect for bifocals.
The lower part of the lens is plenty large enough to let you split the lens without ever interfering with long vision.

Cliff:

That was my thought, too, but the optician said "most people don't read things when they are using sunglasses." I thought that was a pretty silly blanket statement.

My previous optician also tried very hard to get me to wear progressive bifocals. They drove me nuts - I only saw a single little clear spot in the middle of the lens for any given distance. I had to constantly turn my head every which way to see anything clearly. When I returned them (twice) for regular bi's, he dismissly said "oh, you must be a scanner, moving your eyes a lot... no wonder these didn't work for you."

Anyway, I love the bifocal aviators. No problems using them.

Carlos

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 7:11 PM
So I got my Randolph Engineering sunglasses today.

I like 'em.