PDA

View Full Version : Oak Crotch Platter

George Guadiane
05-21-2009, 6:53 PM
This platter is going to a friend who builds wheelchairs for people in third world countries.
He gave me this piece of oak and another pretty much like it. He gets the wood from various sources and hands it out to his woodturning and F**t board friends... We then take some of that wood and make something to give back to him, then he sells the pieces on behalf of the charity (sorry, I don't know the name).
Charlie (my friend) builds bicycles one day a week for under privileged children and wheelchairs one day a week. Once a month he goes out and collects wood donations from various sources and takes it to his meetings to spread out among us.
Charlie is a good friend and a personal hero.
This platter is 13 inches in diameter by one inch high, oil sanded to 400 and finished with microcrystaline wax.
As always, All Comments, Critiques and/or Questions Welcome.

Eugene Wigley
05-21-2009, 7:56 PM
Nice job. I'm sure Charlie will be glad to have it.

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2009, 8:05 PM
George - beautiful platter! Love the grain and color! Hope your friend Charlie is able to sell it for big bucks! You know how to pick your friends well! Charlie sounds like quite the inspiration!

Richard Madison
05-21-2009, 9:31 PM
That's a beauty George, and for a good cause, which makes it even better.

Jim Kountz
05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
That sho is purdy!! I havent had much luck turning oak but it sure worked for you. Well done!!

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Beautiful George. He is really going to like that.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
George....there is more activity in that wood than you'd find in an ant hill disturbed by black bear! Whew!

Beautiful form, wood and finish!

George Guadiane
05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Thank You Everyone!

Jeff Nicol
05-22-2009, 7:58 PM
George, You have another winner there! The wood speaks for itself and the design does not take away from the beauty of the wood.

Another super job!

Jeff

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:40 PM
George, that's a great one...centering that featured feather/figure was the perfect way to nail this one!