PDA

View Full Version : New Wenzloff Saw

JD Dolan
05-21-2009, 6:41 PM
Just got my new Wenzloff dovetail saw. The handle is made of moon ebony, and the saw weighs in at 15 oz. For comparison: my Gramercy dovetail saw weighs 7 oz., and my Adria carcass saws weigh 17.5 oz each.

Feels great, cuts great. I'd probably keep it except it doesn't have one of those laser thingamajigs....

Jack Camillo
05-21-2009, 6:49 PM
What a beautiful saw! Good for you.

David Keller NC
05-21-2009, 7:03 PM
OK, I'll bite - What the heck is "moon ebony"? Looks like extra-dark Brazilian Rosewood. Nice saw.

Joe Hardesty
05-21-2009, 7:15 PM
it except it doesn't have one of those laser thingamajigs....

Go to Staples and get a Laser Pointer (about $10). Then a little duct tape. BAM!

Of course, you could keep it the way it is. I read they used to saw without lasers......back in the day.

John Keeton
05-21-2009, 7:46 PM
J D, that is a beautiful saw! What it needs though, is a good plastic handle:p Hey Jack, that was for you!!:D

Seriously, that is a beautiful tool, and will give you and your lineage decades of service. You should be very proud of that one!

JD Dolan
05-21-2009, 7:50 PM
David,

Moon ebony is also known as mun ebony (Diospyros Mun), and it has beautiful colors (black, green, brown, tan). As far as I know, this is Mike's first saw with this type of wood.

gary Zimmel
05-21-2009, 8:11 PM
Sweet looking saw JD. Congrats!
I'm sure it will give you many years of service.

David Keller NC
05-22-2009, 9:50 AM
JD - Interesting, I've never heard of it. I'll have to look up some info...

Richard Dooling
05-22-2009, 10:03 AM
That's a beautiful saw! I'm looking forward to my dovetails getting good enough to justify such an investment. I picked up the LV saw - I figure it has a lot to teach me yet.

As I said in another post, the problem is that they need to make the laser on all these saws strong enough to eliminate the need for a saw blade!

Tony Zaffuto
05-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Nice saw! I have a couple of Mike's half back saws and they are lovely!

Question: If you have an Adria and a Grammercy, why did you buy another? also have an Adria and a Grammercy and use each equally, with both having a totally different feel. Of the three which do you like best?

T.Z.

Rick Erickson
05-22-2009, 12:09 PM
JD - How long were you in the queue? That is one sweet looking saw!

JD Dolan
05-22-2009, 3:38 PM
Tony--the Adrias are carcass saws (one rip, one x-cut).

I got the Gramercy DT last year when I realized it was going to take quite a while to get the Wenzloff...

Rick--which was about 14 months.

Phillip Pattee
05-22-2009, 8:43 PM
That really looks spectacular! You could write a review comparing the Gramery and the Wenzlof.

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:42 PM
I have one Mike W saw now...and plan on more. Nice tools!

Larry Fox
05-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Very beautiful saw. I have one of his DT saws and consider it to be the finest tool in my shop. It just feels and cuts extremely well.

JD Dolan
05-23-2009, 8:49 PM
Yeah, I love it. And I'm glad that we live in a time that allows us to be able to get such fine tools from people like Mike Wenzloff, Rob Lee, Tom Lie-Nielsen, Dave Jeske, Joel Moskowitz, Rob Cosman...

Getting a little weepy here...

Wait a minute! I just realized that between books, tools and DVDs, these people have cost me thousands of dollars...

You bastards!

dan grant
05-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Yeah, I love it. And I'm glad that we live in a time that allows us to be able to get such fine tools from people like Mike Wenzloff, Rob Lee, Tom Lie-Nielsen, Dave Jeske, Joel Moskowitz, Rob Cosman...

Getting a little weepy here...

Wait a minute! I just realized that between books, tools and DVDs, these people have cost me thousands of dollars...

You bastards!
lmao very funny