PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got any ideas?

Mark Burge
05-21-2009, 5:19 PM
I have just agreed to do a woodworking demo for the kids at my church on June 17. The time is limited (about an hour) and it is part of a series on art and religion. The idea is to demo something and then have a small project that the kids could do. Right now I'm thinking of a lathe demo (making some shavings should be exciting) and a small flat project that I have prepared the parts ahead of time. Oh, I did think that using some shavings off a plane or the lathe might be nice for decorations on the projects. Oh, I have a Jet mini lathe and a good selection of hand tools that I MIGHT be willing to let some kids touch.

So, has anyone done anything like this? What works? What doesn't. Some tie in to religion is expected and I don't think "Joseph was a carpenter" will cut it. I'm afraid that the date will sneak up on me.

Thanks, Mark

alex carey
05-21-2009, 5:26 PM
The holy grail is often depicted as a goblet. You can make a goblet in much less than an hour.

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2009, 5:31 PM
Mark - I would think that some simple spindle turned candle holders would be great fun for the kids, be something they can take with them and not stress you out to much as far as a project.

Have fun with it!

Ron Bontz
05-21-2009, 5:46 PM
Candle holders are a quick easy design that can use up scraps of 2x2s etc. Throw a square block on it and you have a base. After all in Joseph's time that's all they had.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
05-21-2009, 5:50 PM
You can turn small tops in a very short period of time.

John Fricke
05-21-2009, 5:51 PM
My first lathe projects while I was taking care of my father were several hundred simple old fashioned spin tops that I donated to a local charity. Unfortunately I don't have any pics but I used the multi colored laminated scraps from one of the pen catalogs. I took a 2-3" square by 1" or so thick, drilled a 5/16 hole through center, glued in a 3" piece of hardwood dowel rod, used a collet chuck to grip the dowel and turned. If you have the blanks cut with the dowels glued ahead of time you can crank these out by the bushel.

George Guadiane
05-21-2009, 5:53 PM
You can turn small tops in a very short period of time.
AND, it's something that the kids could try too!

Mark Burge
05-21-2009, 6:09 PM
Wow, you guys are quick! Thanks for the ideas so far. I like the idea of spindle work. I would certainly feel safer letting the kids have a go at it with a scraper if it were between centers. (I will have a hand on the tool at all times though.) I am trying to figure out how to spin :) the top idea as a religious icon. The grail may be a good demo and the cup is certainly a nice tie in with communion.

Great. Thanks. Keep em coming.

John Fricke
05-21-2009, 6:18 PM
Spin your way to heaven via living your life for the lord.

curtis rosche
05-21-2009, 6:29 PM
glue up some peices that are flat but have a simple gloss glued in. or make a multi axis turning out of a cross. it might be a little more dangerous because of the amount of air betwen the sides

Harvey M. Taylor
05-21-2009, 6:36 PM
How about a pen{s} made from olive wood from the holy land? Everyone likes pens. Max

Mark Burge
05-21-2009, 6:47 PM
How about a pen{s} made from olive wood from the holy land? Everyone likes pens. Max

That would be great, but I've never turned pens and I don't want to get all the extra stuff for it. But, using olive wood is a great idea!

Mark Hix
05-21-2009, 8:08 PM
small, simple cups....lot's of Bible verses that talk about cups.

Mike Minto
05-21-2009, 8:41 PM
be sure and tell the attendees about how many churches have tried to censor works of art due to aspects of the art that they found objectionable; truth is truth. It is, as you said, a series on 'art and religion'. mike

Keith Christopher
05-21-2009, 8:56 PM
If you prep properly you can turn most small projects. But I do agree spindle turnings will be the easiest in an hour. Perhaps some cigar pens, pre-drilled, and glued and barrel trimmed. get some soft wood like maple.

Mark Burge
05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
LOML suggested a small bowl or dish for keeping change in to be used as an offering or for a special mission such as our church's benevolence fund. I kinda like that idea. A small cup as Mark suggests could fill the bill and tie in with some verses. If I get the time, I may try to glue up some blanks that have crosses or something in them. A celtic knot would be neat but probably too much trouble.

Mike, I agree with you that censorship has come from the church as a whole. I am actually pretty jazzed about doing some art that is accessible to people at church. The tendency is to be pretty heavy on the music art and leave everything else out of church life. But woodworking has a long history in the church, especially in the eastern orthodox tradition of iconography. I think the main thrust of this series at our church is to emphasize artistic expression as a gift, and to fill some Wednesday night sessions during the slow summertime:D.

Thanks everyone - Mark

CW McClellan
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Honey Dippers:D

Rusty Smith
05-22-2009, 9:28 AM
Honey Dippers:D

Ha Ha, There you go, from the land of milk and honey dippers!!! ;)

Bruce Wolberg
05-22-2009, 7:51 PM
In my sunday school days we mentioned drydles (?) as a four sided top. Something that they used back then. A lame project was to use an egg carton cut up so that each egg cup could have a stick poked through it and become a drydle. You could turn something much better.
Bruce

Jeff Paxton
05-23-2009, 6:23 PM
Mark,

I did something similar last year at our church. I did a small Natural Edge bowl. My "lesson" was that the small log is a lot like me, rough, not much to look at, BUT if we will let Him, the Lord will do a great work and make something beautiful out of our lives. The beauty is on the inside, as we never really know what beauty the Lord has put inside the logs we turn, until we "turn out the ugly stuff." I left the bark on illustrating that even though I still have some rough edges, the Lord is still "working on me."

It went well, but I did not let the kids use the lathe. As already suggested, I have also used the olive wood to make pens as well. Hope it goes well, and be sure to give us an update.

Jeff

John Beaver
05-23-2009, 6:48 PM
I recommend simple candle sticks.
I have done this with my young kids, and they have fun putting their own little grooves and beads and such on the side. You could pre-shape the ends and pre-drill the hole and they can do the centers. The ones who are finished could paint theirs while the others turn. They could use them to carry candles to the alter for the church tie-in.

Dan Burstyn
05-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Mark,

I have worked with Boy Scouts (I'm a woodworking Merit Badge Counsilor for my local troop).
Depending on the age, the younger, the quicker is better.
So I will (for group demos), pre-round off the turnings. This saves some time (depending on how sharp your tools are). For one on ones I will go through the whole process.

Ideas: I have made tops, ceiling fan pulls (Scouts usally like to make bullet shaped ones, may not fly with your crowd), small vases are also good to make.

In one of my last goes, I glued some ebony, yellow heart and paduak veneer in between some 3/4" birds-eye maple scraps I had. When you cut into the wood (on a curve) you could cut there the different color layers, and have nice natural colors, and neat designs. I then drill the vase for a small test tube (or metal container) to hold the water.

Also, depending on the boys, some times we just make what I call Christmas tree ornaments. I have a pile of brass eyes, and when they are done with making there shape (Christmas trees shapes work fine), I have them part it off the lathe, drill the top with an old hand drill and put an eye into it. A little finish and it is ready to hang on the tree. Quick and simple.

My youngest son made a 2 1/2 " tall light house ornament (out of tulip wood) and the stripping lined up beautifully:D. A great present for his Grandma:D. You could fold that in as "God is the Light":D:D So the light house might work for you. You can have a general shape/ guideline and let them go from there.

My oldest son made a light house out of olive wood for his grandmother as well. I personally am not a fan of green olives, so keeping on eye on him while the room smelled like green olives was not my cup of tea.

You could have them make people ornaments as well (from different colors of wood). Teaching that God loves everyone regardless of thier color.

Also, depending on the number of kids, you might want to have something to keep the other kids busy. You may have to have a few stations. A wood selection station, the lath station, the finishing station, and something to keep them busy while that are not on the lathe. Noting that you will need some help with the other stations. Unless of course the kids are all angels and can sit still for a while.:rolleyes:.......

Also, don't forget some smaller googles and dust masks for the kids to wear. Good to teach them about safety as well.

Hope this helps you some:D
Dan B.