PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Bowfront Table

NICK BARBOZA
05-21-2009, 3:02 PM
I recently completed this project for a family friend. It consists of a bentwood lamination for the front apron, mortise and loose tenon joinery, tapered legs and a sprayed shellac finish.

I am pretty pleased with the outcome and so is the new owner! Nothing too spectacular or earth shattering with this piece, so i cranked it out pretty quickly. Overall start to finish i probably had about 16-20 hours in it broken up over the past few weeks.

Also about a year ago I made the mirror in pic #2 for my fiance (then girlfriend) and a matching full length one for her birthday.

Thanks for looking
-NWB

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/bowfronttable174.jpg

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/Bowfronttable12.jpg

http://www.nwbwoodworks.com/images/Bowfronttable13.jpg

John Keeton
05-21-2009, 3:51 PM
Excellent work on both projects. It is interesting to see the difference in the color of the cherry just over the passage of a year.

Doing the laminated, bowed apron probably took longer than the rest of the table. Very simple, elegant, and well done.

Ed Sallee
05-21-2009, 4:22 PM
Very nice.....

Jim Tobias
05-21-2009, 6:59 PM
Nice Nick!! The cherry is always a good choice and it does your design justice. I like the proportions on your table. They seem to go well as a unit. Nice design.

Jim

Jason Tuinstra
05-21-2009, 8:03 PM
Nice! Great spot for it as well!

Jim Kountz
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Great job, gotta love that cherry stuff!!

gary Zimmel
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Nice job on the hall table Nick.

The pair look great together.

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice job, Nick! I did a similar table for our foyer and the bow front design is just perfect for that kind of application as your picture shows! Nice!

Bill Wyko
05-22-2009, 5:20 PM
Very nice. The curve really enhances the whole ensemble. :)

Don C Peterson
05-22-2009, 7:34 PM
16-20 hours?!?! You are faster than me, that's for sure. Nicely done.

Doug Mason
05-22-2009, 9:54 PM
In doing the laminations, did you cut 1/8 strips on the bandsaw or tablesaw? If the former, how did you smooth it after cutting (i.e., a handplane or drumsander)?

John Thompson
05-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Nicely done. I think the bow front was an appropriate choice for the design.

Sarge..

NICK BARBOZA
05-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words Gents!!!

As for the time, I was actually building two of them (one for me and one for a customer) so setup time was kinda/sorta cut in half. Production can be a real money maker!

Jason: I agree that is a nice spot for it, but unfortunately that one is for the client and has made its voyage to New Jersey. But once I complete mine (tiger and ambrosia maple) it will sit below that mirror. I am honored to have a comment like that from you! Your work amazes (sp?) me! THANKS!

In doing the laminations, did you cut 1/8 strips on the bandsaw or tablesaw? If the former, how did you smooth it after cutting (i.e., a handplane or drumsander)?

Doug: I cut them on the bandsaw. After the first cut was made, I used a handplane to smoth the "blank's" face so that the next laminate would have one smooth face to start. Then once all laminates were cut, I sent them all through the drum sander to smooth the other and thus achive two glue ready faces. Worked pretty well, I would do a few thing dfferent next time, including a new bandsaw! But you live and learn!

Thanks again folks!
NWB