PDA

View Full Version : arbor nut?

steve darner
05-21-2009, 1:02 PM
Hi..
I received a free Pro-tech table saw. Model 4008. No arbor nut or blade washer.
Pro-tech is out of business.
I did read and the thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20531&highlight=5%2F8-18

The arbor thread is not 5/8-UC like from a wire brush.
A 5/8-18 does seem to fit nicely. They look like normal pointy threads.

This looks like a possibility for a nut
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1764794&PMT4NO=64153137

But still need a washer. A standard fender washer wont do because of the slop.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a make-shift washer? Or better for the nut?
How about another brand?

Thanks for any insite.

Steve

george wilson
05-21-2009, 1:21 PM
You can usually buy buffing spindles that bolt onto the shafts of motors you have laying around,to turn them into grinders or buffers. They come with 2" dia. lathe turned flanges
which look just like what you need. Sears used to sell them.Someone like Northern,or Harbor Freight most likely has these little sets for a few dollars. You might have to drill out the 1/2" holes in their flanges to 5/8"

That MSC nut might be too thick to allow you to bolt a dado set on. That nut is for use in clamping things on milling machines. You need to find a thinner nut. I wouldn't worry about the slop in a fender washer. However,the face of the washer needs to be turned down so the outer edge of the washer bears against the blade. That's why you need the flange.

steve darner
05-21-2009, 2:34 PM
I have a plain 5/8-18 jam nut from Ace Hardware which does turn on and off like it was made to match. $0.47

I will look for buffing wheel flanges.
Drilling out a 1/2" washer might work. The 5/8" washer is nothing like centered.
The Pro-Tech parts manual calls it a Blade Washer. But seeing as they are out of business, they can be wrong all they want.

Currently not worried about fitting a dado. But who knows what the future may hold?

Steve

Jason White
05-21-2009, 6:30 PM
You could probably buy a blade stiffener and use it as your washer (that's basically what a blade stiffener is anyway -- a giant washer).

You could also try any tablesaw manufacturer and just ask them to send you a 5/8 arbor washer (Delta, Grizzly, etc.).

Jason

I have a plain 5/8-18 jam nut from Ace Hardware which does turn on and off like it was made to match. $0.47

I will look for buffing wheel flanges.
Drilling out a 1/2" washer might work. The 5/8" washer is nothing like centered.
The Pro-Tech parts manual calls it a Blade Washer. But seeing as they are out of business, they can be wrong all they want.

Currently not worried about fitting a dado. But who knows what the future may hold?

Steve

steve darner
05-21-2009, 7:43 PM
I havent seen a blade stiffener either.
I was thinking I could try the local woodworker shop, but I havent been near there. Or Northern or HarborFreight...

I just wrote to http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/ to ask if they have another 5/8-18 nut and washer/stiffener/clamp/spacer (depending what parts source your reading)

Menards tools are hard to find parts for. They carried Pro-Tech (gone), and now Tradesmen who has no online information...

Steve