PDA

View Full Version : Source of LEATHER

Tom Delaney
05-21-2009, 9:34 AM
I am not associated with the following other than I am going to start buying from him...

Via Craigslist (and no, I don't use the exotic section... yet) I found a guy (local to me) who was selling 'leather'. I just spoke to him. He is located in Johnstown, NY (formerly the leather capital of the country) and has 'tons' of leather remants and samples that he can supply. I am buying 20 pieces (12x12) for a hundred bucks - all in 'light colors'.

When I spoke to him - he explained that he can supply just about any specific request - for example if you wanted a strong leather (shoe leather) in cobalt blue... he can probably find it for you. If you want a specific size, color, weight... he probably has it. His name is George Duross - Partners Leather. His phone is (518) 853 6142. He uses paypal and seems to be know his leather.

As I said... not affiliated with him nor will I make anything from letting everyone know about an alternative source.

Bill Cunningham
05-21-2009, 10:17 PM
If you have a Tandy leather in your town, they usually have pretty good deals on bits and pieces of various weights as well..

Roy Brewer
05-21-2009, 10:19 PM
His name is George Duross - Partners Leather. His phone is (518) 853 6142. He uses paypal and seems to be know his leather. Tom,

I, for one, would like to know what you think of Uncle George after you get your order.;)

Jim Coffee
05-22-2009, 12:16 AM
I would suggest that you take care when purchasing leather...or anything consumable for that matter.

I am a fan of Tandy Leather. I was purchasing a specific leather from them and manufacturing with that specific leather. They no longer carry it. I can no longer manufacture my product because I could not find an alternate source.

I try very hard to source only product that I can purchase again and again. More important than price, in my opinion.

Tom Delaney
05-27-2009, 3:31 PM
I drove out to Uncle George's over the weekend. He (like many of us) works out of his home but has a two car garage FULL of various hides. As he said - everyone has deer and steer hides, as does he. After 9/11 his business slowed down to almost nonexistant levels so he figured he would 'specialize'. He has all sorts of unusual leathers (and some things I didn't know were leather - have you ever seen samon skin leather or Bull Frog leather? How about Sand Shark Leather - and talk about tough, people use it for sandpaper!). He has all the typical snakes - plus tiger snake (looked like a zebra) and a bunch of others. He did snooker me on the leather skin of a emu (if that is how you spell it)- golden tan with the shin bone prominent in the center!

I know somebody was asking about 'leather' coasters - he had them by the hundreds (I bought 6 at $2 a piece) as well as leather flooring squares (sealed - I took a couple although they are really dark brown so I don't know how well the engraving will contrast) and I picked up an extra heavy light tan belt (sans buckle) for 10 bucks (it will easily fit a XXX guy - so now I have something to grow into!).:D

Anyway, I left with 'remanants' of a variety of leather - some really thin, almost like parchment paper (so thin it curled as it was being lasered - had to double side tape it down) to really thick. The smallest piece was about a square foot and the largest was about 5 sq feet. Per my request, it was all 'light in color' and probably was about 30 sq feet in total - for a hundred bucks. I got bright red, blues, tans, greens, whites, golds and several other colors in between. The guy seems honest and sincere. I'll buy from him again - especially if I find a need for bullfrog leather (which was so thin it was silly... but really pretty!) I didn't get any of the exotic stuff - but what I got will give me the opportunity to fine tune my ability with leather pretty cheaply. I'd recommend him.