PDA

View Full Version : Another tool question

Matt Day
05-21-2009, 8:00 AM
Hello,

I know this question has been asked a lot before, but I'm not really versed enough on the subject to make a good decision. Right now I've got an 8 piece Benjamin's Best set http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html right now (3/16" Parting Tool, 5/8" Spear Scraper, 1" Skew Chisel, 5/8" Skew Chisel, 5/8" Round Nose Scraper, 1/2" Bowl Gouge, 3/4" Spindle Gouge, 7/8" Roughing Gouge) and have a Jet 1442.

I've been trying my hand at my first real bowls (about 12" diameter) and have been having trouble with it going veryyyy slow due to a lot of catches. I'm wondering if I'm using the right tool for the job (are any of the tools I have really the right tool?) or if I need to invest one or two better tools in addition to what I have. I don't feel like the handles on my set are long enough to do any good roughing due to lack of leverage.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I do have a sharpening station and I think I do a pretty good job keeping my tools sharp - not the best though! :)

robert hainstock
05-21-2009, 8:21 AM
You have three tools there that would be useful in bowl turning, the bowl gauge, and the scrapers. The parting tool four parting off the finished bowl. I urge you to obtain Bill Grumbinre video "Turning bowls made easy". It is a most comprehensive learning tool, and as importand as the proper tools to the turner's tool box.
Bob

ROY DICK
05-21-2009, 8:27 AM
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/. A lot of good information here.
Then you can make your own custom handle.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
05-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I agree with Robert that you have the tools to turn a bowl. I have used that same set now for about 3 yrs with no trouble and still use most of them today. I would definitely get Bill Grumbines DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy." He shows you about every cut you need to turn a bowl and also shows you how to present the tool to the wood. Another good one is Mike Mahoney's "From The Tree To The Table" or "Bowl Basics." I think your problem sounds like technique and tool presentation rather than the tools. I would also suggest if you have a woodturning club (check AAW for a club near you) or Woodturning store close by to take some class.

Chris Stolicky
05-21-2009, 10:27 AM
I agree with Robert that you have the tools to turn a bowl. I have used that same set now for about 3 yrs with no trouble and still use most of them today. I would definitely get Bill Grumbines DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy." He shows you about every cut you need to turn a bowl and also shows you how to present the tool to the wood. Another good one is Mike Mahoney's "From The Tree To The Table" or "Bowl Basics." I think your problem sounds like technique and tool presentation rather than the tools. I would also suggest if you have a woodturning club (check AAW for a club near you) or Woodturning store close by to take some class.

Good suggestions......

Pay attention to sharpness and technique. You can turn entire bowl with a 1/4" bowl gouge if you wanted to.... I have the same set and have turned quite a bit with that 1/2" bowl gouge.

Oh, Thompson tools are very good quality and do hold an edge longer; in my experience.

Burt Alcantara
05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Practice. Don't buy more tools. Do you have a sharpening system? Are your tools razor sharp?

Practice.

Practice more.

Everybody gets catches. Everybody makes UFOs. It's part of turning.

Practice.

Wally Dickerman
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
If possible, enroll in a class. You'll learn more in a one day class than you ever will by watching videos and asking for advice on the web. Learning has to be hands on.

Buying tools in a set is a bad idea. Some of the tools you've mentioned are tools that you'd never buy individually.

Wally

Scott Conners
05-21-2009, 12:39 PM
All of those tools in your set are tools I use, some more than others (spearpoint scraper less than others, but it makes great decorative rings in the bottom of bowls). I turn most bowls with just a 1/2" bowl gouge and parting tool, though I could probably do it completely with the gouge if I wanted. I just find it easier to make the tenon square with the parting tool.
I'm also going to recommend Bill Grumbine's DVD, it's truly a great reference.
Also, try and get hooked up with a local AAW chapter/club in your area. There is always someone willing to show you in person where you're tripping yourself up, and ten minutes of hands-on teaching is worth hours of studying videos and books. You can find your local chapter on the AAW website.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-21-2009, 1:23 PM
Bill has 2 videos, both of which are very informative.

When you buy sets, yes you do get tools that you will never use, but, you can get more tools for the same money than you could get if purchased individually. You can always regrind that semi useless spear point into a detail skew, or cative ring tool or beading tool. The tool design is not limited to what you get. You can even try to grind it into a dovetail scraper for your chuck. That is always useful. PLus, you can try out all the different tools. THEN plink down the hard earned bucks for a quality skew, gouge or scraper...... Yeah, if you only turn bowls, you'll probably not use a spindle gouge. Or skew.

Just my .02.

Reed Gray
05-21-2009, 2:11 PM
Videos are a great teaching tool, but a session with an experienced turner is a lot better. Our local club has been the best learning experience of my turning career. You can ask questions. The problems you are having are tecnique related, not tool related.
robo hippy

Matt Day
05-22-2009, 8:51 AM
Thanks all. I'll try to get connected with my local chapter - in fact the gentleman I bought my lathe from is a member I believe.