PDA

View Full Version : New chisel handle

Matt Hankins
05-21-2009, 7:52 AM
I am going to turn a new handle for my 2" Witherby chisel out of Hornbeam. I am not sure what kind of finish to put on it. Anyone have a suggestion?

Brad Patch
05-21-2009, 7:54 AM
Shellac, you can apply it while the handle is still on the lathe.

Dave Anderson NH
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Matt,

I'm assuming that since it is 2", it's either a framing chisel or a slick??? If so, I wind that boiled linseed oil and some buffed up carnuba wax feel really nice in the hand. I've used shellac in the past, but over time the oils in the sweat of your hands will eat the shellac though it is easy to smooth out and add another coat of shellac.

Gary Herrmann
05-21-2009, 1:35 PM
+1 for blo

Jim Koepke
05-21-2009, 1:50 PM
My handles either get BLO and wax, like bee's wax, or a BLO and a tung oil finish.

This is mostly because those items are close at hand.

Being a craftsman/artist means it does not matter. Since one is a craftsman/artist, if the results are not satisfactory, the results can be changed.

jim

Graham Hughes (CA)
05-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I usually don't finish my chisels, actually. Shellac is certainly convenient for use on a lathe, and if I bothered to finish them I would probably use it, but I'm a little concerned about it getting slippery in my hands.

Jim Koepke
05-22-2009, 1:44 AM
I usually don't finish my chisels, actually. Shellac is certainly convenient for use on a lathe, and if I bothered to finish them I would probably use it, but I'm a little concerned about it getting slippery in my hands.

I think the design of the handle can over come the slipperiness caused by the finish. There are a few different ways to do this, one is to run a few beads around the handle. My choice was a flange and bulb. There is an image of this type handle here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=98304

The bulb fits in the hand well and the flange allows for some heavy pushing when paring whether horizontally or vertically.

jim