PDA

View Full Version : Finishing

Mark Mandell
08-13-2004, 3:38 PM
Will be using pre-cat lacquer on new kitchen and bath cabinets made from red birch. Have been told to first seal with vinyl (acrylic) sealer. Anyone with experience with pre-cat on the yeah, neah, or not needed sides? Please include a "why".

Thanks

Mark Mandell

Greg Heppeard
08-13-2004, 3:52 PM
We used to spray the stuff in a shop I used to work at...stain then 3 coats of pre-cat lacquer...no sealer. I guess the first coat was used as a sealer.

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 4:26 PM
One comment...be sure to take very good safety precautions when using pre-cat. I've never used it (nor will I) but some of the experienced folks I know indicate it's nasty stuff. The only "spinning" you want to be doing is on the lathe...

Steve Clardy
08-13-2004, 4:32 PM
Most everything I spray I use pre-cat. Star Brand. Sometimes I use sealer, sometimes not, just lacquer for the sealer. Depends on the job, how big a hurry I am in, and whats in the gun.
If you want to use a sealer, use the sealer that goes with the kind of lacquer you are using. You might run into problems using other things than what the manfucturer recommends.
Lacquer sealer is basically the same as the lacquer, just has lots more solids in it, so it sands better. Same smell, same stuff.
Sealer actually seals off the wood better than two coats of straight lacquer.
Steve

Mark Mandell
08-13-2004, 4:36 PM
Not to worry.

Good "organic vapor" mask, gloves, body armor, etc. plus application will be in EXTERIOR spray booth [read open garage with exhaust fans at MAX], even though will be using HAPS-compliant material.

Thanks, Jim

Mark

Jim Becker
08-13-2004, 4:40 PM
Mark, you have the right idea and I figured you would. But I've seen so many posts in 'other places' from inexperienced folks who planned on using this stuff in their unventilated basements, figuring it couldn't be any worse than the evil wipe-on poly! 'Better to mention the "S" word than not...

Chris Padilla
08-13-2004, 4:56 PM
Mark,

A "sealer" coat can be defined as the first application of any finish. Perhaps it works a bit better like Steve describes if you are going for a smooth finish but also like Steve said, if he is in a hurry to spray, he doesn't want to mess with changing fluids in the gun and the first coat of lacquer effectively seals the wood.

Mark Mandell
08-13-2004, 4:57 PM
Hi Steve,

Plan on using WFS Coatings version. They have (same brand) available a vinyl sealer, a "high solids" sealer, and a general "sanding" sealer. Note on the vinyl indicates that it doesn't power as well as others, which indicates that I might want to not go there. Part of the concern is raised grain, but also eyes from finger oil, etc. in the raw wood. With custom ply close to $100/sheet, I'm not looking for finishing hassels.

Thanks

Mark

Steve Clardy
08-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Hi Steve,

Plan on using WFS Coatings version. They have (same brand) available a vinyl sealer, a "high solids" sealer, and a general "sanding" sealer. Note on the vinyl indicates that it doesn't power as well as others, which indicates that I might want to not go there. Part of the concern is raised grain, but also eyes from finger oil, etc. in the raw wood. With custom ply close to $100/sheet, I'm not looking for finishing hassels.

Thanks

Mark
Hi Mark.
Being unfamiliar with this vinyl sealer, don't know what to tell you there except if it doesn't power out good, I'd stay away from it and just go with a general sanding sealer. Spray er on, and if it doesn't sand and seal to suit, give it another coat of sealer to fill the voids. You are going to have grain raising no matter what you use, thats the nature of a first coat of whatever on wood.
Also if you are using low pressure guns, you will have to reduce everything to get it to spray. Thats another thing, when you buy your finish material, get some reducer, as you will need it to get the sealer and or lacquer to flow out of the gun with cool temperatures. Also need it to slow the drying down when temps reach 80 degrees or above. Lacquer can actually dry before it hits the wood if too warm.

Steve

Tom LaRussa
08-14-2004, 10:26 AM
One comment...be sure to take very good safety precautions when using pre-cat. I've never used it (nor will I) but some of the experienced folks I know indicate it's nasty stuff. The only "spinning" you want to be doing is on the lathe...
Jim,

What is "pre-cat" lacquer?

TIA,

Tom