PDA

View Full Version : Museum Glass and Cell Phones

Steve Clarkson
05-20-2009, 11:40 PM
No....they have nothing to do with each other.......

So I wanted to try engraving a cell phone......so I went to the cell phone store and asked them if they had any broken ones.....I was given 10 at the first store, four at the second store, and a box full at the third. So if you ever want any cellphones to practice on, just head to your local Verizon store. Since those stores aren't locally owned, they won't/can't offer engraving......so does anyone have any marketing ideas for engraving cell phones, iPods or laptops?

I was in Hobby Lobby today and saw their display for museum glass....has anyone engraved on this? Its 2.5 times as much as regular glass ($10 for an 8x10 piece)......but it looks like it could make for a very interesting engraving.......

art baylor
05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
I believe museum glass blocks UV to prevent fading.

Art

not associated or affiliated with what hangs on the wall

Keith Outten
05-21-2009, 3:26 AM
Steve,

True museum glass is so expensive you probably will never see any. There are lots of different quality levels of glass, it is almost a science that requires an education. There used to be a frame shop in my area that was the best of the best. The woman who owned the shop was the first certified framer in Virginia, she was a wealth of knowledge and shared a lot of information with me concerning the framing business, no training really just information concerninig how things are at the highest levels in the framing world. A lot of the work she did was priceless artifacts from Europe and the Middle East, and some documents from our federal government.

She had a glass display which included samples of just about every quality level of glass that exists. The museum glass sample was an 8 by 10 inch piece that was worth about two thousand dollars in the early 1980's.

Tom Bull
05-21-2009, 3:18 PM
You can buy 50 sq ft. box for under $200.00 these days.

Keith Outten
05-21-2009, 9:42 PM
Tom,

My point is that glass you purchase for $200.00 isn't true museum glass. It may be called museum glass but it doesn't meet the specifications.

rodger d cooley
05-22-2009, 1:52 AM
I do framing and the first thing I tested on the demo was a piece of museum glass. The glass has optical coatings to kill reflection and uv. It etched perfectly. I was concerned the coatings might cause some issues.