PDA

View Full Version : finishing question

John Fricke
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Can I use wipe on poly over BLO? If so how long should I let the Blo cure before applying the poly?

Todd Burch
05-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes. Overnight is usually recommended - depends on how much you wipe off really. I've done it in 3 hours before. Wiping on a lathe while spinning might speed things up quite a bit though. Never tried it.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
John,

I use BLO on my turnings to "pop" the grain...increase contrast....I usually friction it on the lathe.....a few drops on a paper towel....lightly wipe it on while the lathe turns slowly. I then take a clean paper towel...increase the speed of the lathe and the friction the BLO. The turning will get hot....and that's good....it helps cure the BLO.

Then I friction on a couple of coats of dewaxed shellac. Here's my theory. You can put dewaxed shellac over any finish or oil ....and you can put any other finish over dewaxed shellac.

So....I use it as a barrier between BLO and any other finish I might be using.....Deft brushing lacquer......poly....what ever.

Some finishes such as lacquer don't like to adhere to oils.....BLO included....they will adhere to dewaxed shellac.

Todd Burch
05-20-2009, 11:41 PM
I use ML Campbell Lacquer all the time over BLO. Never had a failure.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Todd....that's what I was warned about here at the Creek when I first started finishing.....lacquers didn't like to adhere to oils...BLO included. So I began putting a dewaxed shellac barrier between them.

Todd Burch
05-20-2009, 11:47 PM
It's a safe approach. Every lacquer is different.

John Terefenko
05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I use a waterbased lacquer over blo all the time and never have a problem. I think the adhesion problem comes in if you are using oily woods then dewaxed shellac is the way to go. You can apply poly over the blo. In fact if you take poly and add it to blo and a few driers you have a Danish oil.