PDA

View Full Version : LV Medium Shoulder Plane purchase

Ben Davis
05-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Just a small gloat that I pulled the trigger on a LV medium shoulder plane today. The wife just doesn't seem to be terribly interested. :rolleyes:

At least there is safety with neanders!

glenn bradley
05-20-2009, 10:14 PM
The LV medium shoulder was my first quality plane purchase and still one of my best decisions.

Joe Hardesty
05-20-2009, 10:28 PM
The wife just doesn't seem to be terribly interested.

Buy a couple more planes. That might get her interested.:D

Charles R. Smith
05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Good purchase on your part! I've spent about two hours using mine today, making some cherry furniture as a gift for a young couple. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it.

The downside is that I've started lusting after the LV large shoulder plane. Can somebody talk me out of it??!?

Joe Hardesty
05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Can somebody talk me out of it??!?

This is going to require a lot more brain cells than normally commit to a tool purchase. Can I get back to you on that.

Russ Massery
05-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I've been very happy with mine. It was my first LV plane won't be the last. I really like the ergonomics of the handle.

Brian Kent
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Congratulations on that purchase, Ben. I have tried 2 cheap shoulder planes, which now equals 0 usable shoulder planes. I look forward to getting the one you did to see how it is supposed to work!

Brian

gary Zimmel
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Congrats on the new shoulder plane.
Watch it though they have a tendency to multiply very quickly..

I find the more furniture thats made for the house
the easier it is to put more toys in the shop....

John Keeton
05-21-2009, 6:38 AM
The downside is that I've started lusting after the LV large shoulder plane. Can somebody talk me out of it??!?Charles, you have come to the wrong support group meeting! This group is for people that have trouble building a desire for more tools. The other group meets on down the hall:D

Count me among the satisfied owners of an LV medium shoulder plane!!

John Schreiber
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
That's going to be my next major purpose too. I know what you mean about having to tell somebody who cares.

Danny Hellyar
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Ben,
Can totally relate about the wife not being interested. You'd think with all that I do for her and all the attention she gets from me she'd be a little more interested in what I'm interested in. I do like the suggestion posted about buying more tools, then she would be interested. Since I haven't sprung for any hand planes yet this might be a good start. So should this LV medium shoulder plane be my first purchase? Aren't those made by Veritas.

Jack Camillo
05-21-2009, 7:11 PM
LV/Veritas planes are awesome. And I've needed that very plane for too long...

Rick Erickson
05-21-2009, 7:25 PM
Congrats on the new shoulder plane.
Watch it though they have a tendency to multiply very quickly..

I find the more furniture thats made for the house
the easier it is to put more toys in the shop....

I hope so Gary because you have A LOT of drawers to fill.

JD Dolan
05-21-2009, 7:53 PM
That's my next plane!

Marc Casebolt
05-21-2009, 8:15 PM
I've got that plane and use it a lot. It's a great tool. I now have four Veritas planes, and am about to get another one. I have been very satisfied with all of their planes so far.

Marc

Ben Davis
05-21-2009, 9:49 PM
Ben,
Can totally relate about the wife not being interested. You'd think with all that I do for her and all the attention she gets from me she'd be a little more interested in what I'm interested in. I do like the suggestion posted about buying more tools, then she would be interested. Since I haven't sprung for any hand planes yet this might be a good start. So should this LV medium shoulder plane be my first purchase? Aren't those made by Veritas.
Danny,
Yes, in short, to both of your questions. Welcome to The Creek by the way. Around here LV and Veritas are interchangeable. The LV medium shoulder plane is a quality purchase, but it might not be "the best" first plane as it is more in line with the specialty planes.

That being said, a shoulder plane is one of the most versitile of the specialty plane. I would strongly consider the LV bevel up jack plane, or a basic smoother for a very first plane though.

John Thompson
05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm mostly a power tool worker these days but hand tools come into play almost every day as I am in the shop about 6 days a week. My LV medium shoulder see's some kind of duty about twice a day on average. It's just under 3/4" and cleans the bottom of dadoes in a light pass or two. I used it to to cut a chamfer on the bottom edge of a hutch top yesterday.

Great tool... excellent design.

Sarge..

Dean Karavite
05-24-2009, 2:34 PM
I think I will jump on this bandwagon. I am new to planes and so far have a LN 60 1/2, LN #4 and LV Low Angle Jack (plus three or four cheapos I use to practice sharpening). The LV is my second most used after the block plane and I love them all. As a newbie I thought the shoulder plane was a "speciality plane" but I can see so many uses for one now. Any way, congrats on the purchase!