PDA

View Full Version : VFD on the side of a jointer - do I need dustproof?

Rob Diz
05-20-2009, 7:44 PM
I recently acquired a PM 60 jointer. 2hp, 3ph.

I have been fixing some minor mechanical issues, and also need to address the 3 phase issue.

I purchased the TECO FM50 for around $150 from factorymation. I can get a sealed version for another hundred or so. I'm a hobby guy, and won't be using the jointer a ton. I also don't have any wall space, so I need to mount the VFD on the jointer.

I was planning on leaving a box or some other barrier over the VFD when not plugged in to keep dust from settling on it. Theoretcially, the only real time it will be exposed to dust is the 50-maybe 100 hours a year when the jointer is running. I also plan on blowing it out with air when I "clean" my shop with the leaf blower.

So my question is this - is it worth the extra $100 to get the dust proof model or should I just keep and use the model that I already have.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry Edgerton
05-20-2009, 7:56 PM
I have one I bought for my lathe, but when talking to a tech he recommended I spring for the NEMA version for the lathe as they are sensitive to heat. I'm using it on a drill press.

Myk Rian
05-20-2009, 8:00 PM
A jointer makes lots of chips, not much saw dust.

Jamie Buxton
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
There's little in modern electronics which is bothered by wood dust. Well, if you manage to get enough dust in there to make a thick thermally-insulating blanket, maybe. But I don't think you're in any danger of that, with the housing hung on the outside of the jointer. I'd put the hundred bucks into a nice hand plane.

Alex Shanku
05-21-2009, 9:33 AM
No need to waste the money on a NEMA enclosure.

I would mount the vfd on a wall and run a cord, or, better yet, mount it inside the jointer and use a small manual starter (if already equipped) or just a small toggle switch to control the freq drive.