PDA

View Full Version : Chess Table

Don C Peterson
05-20-2009, 2:23 PM
I'm finally done with the chess table I've been working on. Actually it was the pieces that took the majority of the time. I completed the table in about two weeks. The pieces took me almost two months...

The table is all walnut that has been ebonized with cider vinegar and rust. The dovetails and mortise and tenon joinery was all hand cut. This is the first time I've used drawbores on the M&T joints and I have to say that I will be using them from now on. It's an extra step in the construction, but it more than makes up for the extra work by greatly simplifying assembly and glue up. No clamping necessary!

The top is veneered with a solid edge banding. Thanks to Dewey for his guidance on that part as this is the first time I've ever used veneer.

There are some weird spots in the photos that aren't there in real life, my photography skills are pretty rudimentary...

118867 118868

118869 118870

Brent Ring
05-20-2009, 2:31 PM
Very Nice - Do you have any measured drawings or sketches?

Don C Peterson
05-20-2009, 3:13 PM
These are what I have now. Of course I created the plans in Sketchup so if you'd like, I could make more detailed pics available.

Angus Hines
05-20-2009, 3:17 PM
Got pics of the pieces? How'd you do those?

Don C Peterson
05-20-2009, 3:22 PM
The pieces were done with Spalted Maple and Walnut. Most of the work was done on a lathe, the knight's bodies were hand carved as were the crenelations on the Rooks and the Queen's crowns.

David Gendron
05-20-2009, 3:24 PM
Very nice work indeed! I realy like the ebonyzed work and well the veneering is stuning! It is for sure a classic piece!
Well done!

John Keeton
05-20-2009, 4:52 PM
Don, I enjoyed the thread on the pieces a month or so ago, and the table really is the finishing touch. Great job on the joinery, and interesting that you did the ebonized finish. PWW had an article in the last issue, I think, on the process. Neat look!

Jim Kountz
05-20-2009, 5:47 PM
Really a nice job all around, the table and the pieces. Turned out great!!

John Thompson
05-21-2009, 9:25 PM
Almost missed your excellent table as I'm buried in sawdust. Excellent job on both the table and the pieces I saw a while back.

Regards...

Sarge..

Don C Peterson
05-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words. As I look at those pictures though, they are really bad, there's all kinds of spots and things in them that aren't really there. Maybe it's time for a new camera...

I was really nervous about this project because it was my first "commission". It was a present for a co-workers father in law. I had never met the intended owner but had heard that he is somewhat of a connoisseur of fine art and craftsmanship. And his wife was said to be very particular about what went in her house...

They took delivery of the table yesterday and presented it to him last night. I was relieved to hear that they were "blown away" by the table. I guess the wife had planned on putting it in a study, but after she saw it, she decided that it was going in their living room.

I knew I had done a pretty good job, but was a bit nervous but I also knew that there were a few things that if I had the time, I would fix or change. So it's just a big relief to have the project done and the customer happy!

I'll tell you that I would not have been able to do this had it not been for the generosity and helping hands here at SMC over the years. If SMC didn't exist, we'd have to invent it.

Jim Becker
05-22-2009, 9:37 PM
Really nice, Don!

Angie Orfanedes
05-23-2009, 9:30 AM
What beautiful work. I love woodworking and chess, and I have toyed with the idea of making a chess table and a chess set, but I don't think my skills are there yet. If I had made this table and chessmen, I don't think I could have parted with them.

Jacob Mac
05-23-2009, 8:01 PM
I really like the entire project. Amazing craftsmanship. One of these days, I would love to try my hand at a project like this.

Did you get the spalted maple at Schutes? (sp?)

Don C Peterson
05-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I really like the entire project. Amazing craftsmanship. One of these days, I would love to try my hand at a project like this.

Did you get the spalted maple at Schutes? (sp?)

Thanks Jacob, no I got all the wood other than the veneers from a local guy I know...