PDA

View Full Version : Common Problem with older JET 14" Bandsaws

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
I have a JET 14" bandsaw that I purchased new approx. 10 years ago - it is the older blue-green JET color. It has served me quite well, but over the last couple of years or so I have had a problem with the upper wheel. When the upper wheel was properly adjusted so that the blade would track on the crown, the saw would make a "thump thump thump" sound. I isolated the problem to the part of the saw which tilts the upper wheel as it is adjusted for proper tracking. The part in question is the part that holds the "axle" for the upper wheel. As I would adjust the tilt of the upper wheel this part would begin to rub against the wheel itself, causing the noise. Assuming that I had done something wrong (over-tensioned, not de-tensioned at the end of a day, etc etc) I tried to work with it by removing this part and grinding it down to eliminate the interference. This worked, but the problem eventually returned.

The other day I was in Woodcraft buying a router bit and I described my problem to one of the salesman there. His only thought was that it might be bad bearings on the upper wheel. I was about to buy a new set of bearings when the asst manager caught wind of the conversation. Boy am I glad he did. His exact words - "I know exactly what the problem is". It seems this particular part was built with a bad alloy that would deform over time. This in turn would require the user to crank down on it more which would deform the part even further. He told us that it was very common on JET bandsaws of this era - in fact there was a time when the store was almost flooded with folks complaining of this phenomenon. JET apparently denied that there was an issue of any kind. Interestingly, about this time, new JET 14" bandsaws became scarce due to a "backorder problem". I ordered a replacement part and it solved the issue immediately. What was amazing is how much the original part had deformed without me even realizing it. Little did I know that that piece was supposed to be flat rather than the mild "C" shape that mine had become.

So if you have a JET bandsaw that is approx 10 years old and are having a similar problem, this is your solution.

Matthew Hills
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Interesting. Do you have a photo of the damaged part?

Matt

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Interesting. Do you have a photo of the damaged part?

Matt

No, but I will take one and post it tonight.

Craig Nickles
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Glen,

Can you also post the part # and where you got it from as well as price. Thanks for all the info.

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 12:48 PM
The part cost me approx. $28, and was ordered through Woodcraft. The part is outlined in red below. http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/Jet%2014%20Bandsaw%20JWBS-14CS-2.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2009, 1:05 PM
Mark Duginske points this out and shows photos of it in his latest book on bandsaws.

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 1:23 PM
Mark Duginske points this out and shows photos of it in his latest book on bandsaws.

Very interesting Ken. Did he mention if this was a problem with brands other than JET?

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 1:26 PM
I should point out that although the offending part is indeed outlined in red in the image above, the JET replacement is not merely this part, but rather the whole assembly including spring, tension adjustment knob, etc etc. (I have modified the image to include the assembly I received (designated by the blue circle)).

Ken Fitzgerald
05-20-2009, 4:40 PM
Very interesting Ken. Did he mention if this was a problem with brands other than JET?

Glen,

I honestly don't remember. I do remember that he showed photos of damaged parts. I think it was in the chapter concerning buying used bandsaws.

I loaned my book to another local Creeker and haven't got it back yet. I'll try to find the information when the book gets returned.

glenn bradley
05-20-2009, 5:29 PM

Iturra makes an improved version for the Deltas that had this issue. Their catalog is hardcopy and I don't recall if they did other makers or not.

Lance Norris
05-20-2009, 5:46 PM
Iturra makes an improved version for the Deltas that had this issue. Their catalog is hardcopy and I don't recall if they did other makers or not.

Glenn is right. Iturra has an improved part. I dont know if it fits all the 14" clones, but they will know. This is a common failure of the Delta design.

Glen Blanchard
05-20-2009, 8:29 PM
Here are some photos as requested.

This first image clearly shows the degree to which this part had deformed in my machine. The piece that has the gentle curve is supposed to be completely flat.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0016-2.jpg

This second image shows the points of interference with the upper wheel.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0017-2.jpg

This last image was emailed to me by a woodworker who has had the same problem although his bandsaw is significantly newer than mine. In fact, his is JET ivory, not the older green-blue like mine, demonstrating that this had been an ongoing problem with these JET bandsaws. The part on the left is the newer, more robust version of the part on the right, and presumably will not allow such deformation.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/JETaxle1.JPG

Jeff Willard
05-20-2009, 10:43 PM
I should point out that although the offending part is indeed outlined in red in the image above, the JET replacement is not merely this part, but rather the whole assembly including spring, tension adjustment knob, etc etc. (I have modified the image to include the assembly I received (designated by the blue circle)).

I had the same problem (twice) with a 14" Craftsman version of this saw. I was able to buy the individual components of that assembly through Powermatic. With the exception of the beefed up "tab", the parts were identical.

Howard Acheson
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Jet had a problem years ago with the upper wheel swivel (the part that has the upper wheel axle attached to it) bending particularly if the blade was being over tensioned. New, replacement parts were stronger and fixed the problem.