PDA

View Full Version : Discounts for members

Ted Evans
05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Could someone please steer me in the right direction to get my name sent into Klingspor in order to be eligible for a discount? I would appreciate any help as I need a chuck adapter and jaws for my new chuck and lathe, <grin>.

Mike Minto
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I didn't know about a Klingspore discount - I'd appreciate any info on how to obtain that, as well - I just placed a $85 abrasives order with them yesterday. Mike :mad:

robert hainstock
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
As a member of the Superiorland woodturners, I qualify for thier 20 percent discount on ABRASIVES only. We also as club members qualify at CUSA and other retailers. As I understand it club affiliation is a requirement. Good luck!
Bob

Mike Minto
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I called Klingspore and was told an 'Officer' from the forum needs to contact them with names of those wishing to be included in the discount offer - Moderators? Officers? Achtung, dudes! Mike :):rolleyes:

Bob Hallowell
05-20-2009, 1:48 PM
Sounds like it's time for Steve or Ken to man up and make the call for the good of the forum and our wallets:D

Bob

Ted Evans
05-20-2009, 4:02 PM
Kingspor allowed me a one time discount but said that a list would need to be provided by the admin of SMC to qualify for further discounts. Sounds like all that needs to be done is for a list of the members to be forwarded by the admin to Klinspor. The lady that I spoke with had a list but being that I am a new member, I was not on it.

Jim Kountz
05-20-2009, 5:49 PM
Wow if this is true that would be great. I buy all my abrasives from them.

Mike Stephens
05-20-2009, 7:12 PM
I buy from them too.

David Walser
05-20-2009, 7:19 PM
If all you guys are already buying from Klingspore, what incentive do they have to give the group a discount? If they ask, be sure to tell them you know at least one of us (me) who is NOT buying from them but who will if they grant a discount to the group.

Mike Minto
05-20-2009, 8:22 PM
David, they ALREADY HAVE a discount for 'Creek members. And the incentive would be to direct MORE business their way. Mike

Kyle Iwamoto
05-21-2009, 11:42 AM
How do we get the discount?

Chris Padilla
05-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Guys,

Sounds like a clever way to obtain an email list of SMC posters. SMC will NEVER hand out such a list....

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Chris is right!

It has been a long standing policy of Sawmill Creek to not provide any member lists.

Jeff Mohr
05-21-2009, 12:53 PM
But, but, but.....what about the discount?

Scott Conners
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
What about a list of user names only? That's already public information, and it sure would be nice to get a discount from Klingspore...

Ted Evans
05-21-2009, 1:07 PM
Please keep in mind that I am only expressing what I was told by a lady at Klingspor when I asked about a discount for being a member of the SMC forum. She asked me for my name, she checked a list and told me my name was not on the list. I said that I was a new member and asked how I could get my name on the list. She said the administrator of the forum provided a list to them but they had not received an update for some time and would need one with my name on it.

I did not get the impression that it involved anything more than a list of names identifing us as being a member of SMC, nothing about email ids. However, I could be mistaken.

Personally, I would not object to a reputable company like Klingspor having my name and email id. Come to think of it, they already do because I order from them and have for years. If it will save me 10% on my purchases, I'm all for it, heck, give them my wife's name also if need be.

Just my thoughts.

Bear

Chris Padilla
05-21-2009, 1:17 PM
If someone wishes, contact someone at Klingspor and have them get in touch with Keith or Jackie Outten and they can discuss amongst themselves how to get SMCers a discount. This is the best way to go about it.

I don't know the details of any previous lists that may or may not have been provided but current policy prohibits doing such things.

Ted Evans
05-21-2009, 1:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I must admit that I would not have the chutzpah to call a business and say to them, “I would like for you to give me a discount on your products and in order for you to do this, you must contact this person and work out an arrangement with them in order for you to have this privilege”. Knowing my personality, I would probably respond with something like, oh, I’m sorry, but we are not extending that courtesy to your organization any longer but will be happy to sell to you at our normal prices.

It is not really a big deal for me now, I was informed that there is another forum that Klingspor does have an agreement with.

Thanks again.

Bear

Jeff Mohr
05-21-2009, 6:09 PM
It is not really a big deal for me now, I was informed that there is another forum that Klingspor does have an agreement with.

Thanks again.

Bear

Thanks for the tease.... :rolleyes:

Mark Burge
05-21-2009, 6:16 PM
Okay, I just made my first contribution and became a Contributor. I was spurred on by guilt and this thread.

Steve Schlumpf
05-21-2009, 6:19 PM
Mark - thanks for your support!!!

Frank Guerin
05-21-2009, 6:34 PM
New member. I trust they exsplained the initiatian to you.

Dick Strauss
05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
When our turning club set up a discount program with Klingspor, they wanted names, addresses, email addresses, and tel #s for all folks on the list. They verified several times that they would not sell the contacts list under any circumstances and that it was used for their internal marketing purposes only. They offered a 10% discount on all non-powered catalog items.