PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jpeg

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
G'day Creekers,

I have a jpeg attached here.
I have copied it into Corel x 4 and I would like to "ungroup it" to change the red and some of the shading as I am going to engrave it on stainless steel.

I'd also like to copy it quite a few times as they only need to be 3" x 1.5".

Ive also had a scanned Achievement award emailed to me and I am having similar problems ie trying to get it operating in Corel.

What thread tittle should I look up?

Cheers once again.

Ian

PS One day I hope to be able to help one of you or a newbie!!!

Joe Pelonio
05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Jpeg files are bitmaps, Corel is vector based. You cannot break apart a bitmap. You could edit it using Corel Photopaint, and probably the easiest way is to just go over the red with black.

The best way would be to run trace on it to convert to vector, then clean it up and fill thge red with black. That would take time though maybe one of your friendly Creekers would be willing.

Gary Hair
05-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Joe is exactly right. I would either trace it or redraw it. Redrawing it would be my preference and would come out much better than tracing it. If you don't have the time or inclination to do it yourself, I have had William Desrochers do vector conversions many times. For the price, I would have to do most conversions in less than 5 minutes - that ain't gonna happen...

www.excaliburcreations.com (http://www.excaliburcreations.com)

Send William your jpg and he will send you a price estimate. Pay him and usually within 24 hours you will get back an eps, jpg and pdf, all of them perfect!

Gary

P.S. If the link has to be removed, google william desrochers excalibur

David Lampitok
05-20-2009, 2:10 AM
will this help?

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-20-2009, 2:38 AM
Thanks I really apprecite your help and quick response!

This is starting to get complex for me at this stage.
I'm wanting to engrave Uni Degrees on acrylic ( reverse) and on timber. Students will scan degrees and email to me, any idea's on the easiest way to do this?

Cheers Ian

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-20-2009, 2:40 AM
Mate that is awesome.....................THANK YOU!!!!

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-20-2009, 2:44 AM
Thanks Gary but Dave helped me out. I will keep that address if I get stuck again.

Any idea's on the best way to receive by email scanned copies of Uni degree's to import to Corel to then engrave on Timber, acrylic etc etc??? They then get mounted on Plaques.

Cheers Ian

Mike Null
05-20-2009, 6:18 AM
If your degrees are like ours they are a bear to do. Converting them to vector can be frustrating.

One of the problems is the text and the shading for the text and the other is the university seal. If you are able to persuade the uni to give you vector art for those items then you're home free. But I have only one uni which has given me those files. Universities guard their seal to prevent forging of diplomas.

You can use a good high resolution jpeg but it may take a little cleaning up in PhotoPaint.

David Lampitok
05-20-2009, 9:36 PM
Your Welcome Ian

James Jaragosky
05-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks I really apprecite your help and quick response!

This is starting to get complex for me at this stage.
I'm wanting to engrave Uni Degrees on acrylic ( reverse) and on timber. Students will scan degrees and email to me, any idea's on the easiest way to do this?

Cheers Ian
The easiest way would be to just raster the image using the scanned bitmap file. the best way would be to do the hard work and convert the bitmap to a vector.
If you choose to go the easy route I suggest you search these forums for the gold method and follow the instructions there. Also make sure that the image is scanned at at least 300 dpi and have them save it in a loss less format such as a tiff file.

Mike Null
05-21-2009, 7:00 AM
James

One of the several problems I've encountered with scanned images of diplomas is that they are frequently done on parchment paper. The texture of the parchment shows on the scan and will be engraved if you don't spend a lot of time cleaning up the image.

It is not a service I offer commercially.

Bill Cunningham
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
James

One of the several problems I've encountered with scanned images of diplomas is that they are frequently done on parchment paper. The texture of the parchment shows on the scan and will be engraved if you don't spend a lot of time cleaning up the image.

It is not a service I offer commercially.

If possible, I usually try to scan them as a 2 bit file, then use the threshold control to fade back the background, and any water marks.. Running a scanned grayscale through photograv, then manipulating the parameters will also get rid of a lot of hash...

Tom Cole
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I have had really good results by scanning the diploma in, putting the bitmap on a lower layer and using the text tool on the top layer to match the text. I then convert the text to curves. The seal I usually get from the school as a bitmap (usually an uncompressed tif. One thing to watch out for is after you type in the graduates name is that you either convert it to curves or remove the outline before you send it to the laser, or you might find that the outline is thin enough to be seen as a vector cut command.

Ian Wilson (AUST)
05-22-2009, 6:31 PM
Thanks Tom.......I need to do a bit more study and thenI will give this ago.