PDA

View Full Version : Sandvick Hand saw

John M Bailey
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Picked up an old saw for $2 that my great unkle was going to put into a yard sale. I have never seen one of these before. Any body know anything about them?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/STITCHOP/Woodwork/watch037.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c76/STITCHOP/Woodwork/watch038.jpg

David Gendron
05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know much about sanvic saws, but I know that they were making fine tools, and this one sure look like a great user!

Don C Peterson
05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I do know that Sandvick made quality saws but I can't help you with the details of that particular one. Judging from the shape of the handle, it's probably not all that old (not that old is automatically good...) But the old handles were generally made to be more comfortable for those who were going to be using the saws all day long. On the newer saws, customers didn't demand comfortable handles because power tools did most of the cutting do be done.

Wes Grass
05-20-2009, 3:00 AM
I got one, almost identical to that, at OSH less than 10 years ago. It's a 277, 9T/10P, 26". Handle looks identical, but it's dark where the design is pressed in (on the left only). Probably done with a hot stamp. Has brass round head Phillips screws on the right side. Design on the blade is identical as well, although some of mine is worn off. The cardboard sleeve it's in says it's taper ground.

And I agree, it's a nice saw. I'm guessing it maybe cost me $35.

Richard Niemiec
05-20-2009, 1:51 PM
I have one just like that one; its the real deal, a great saw, good steel, sharpen it up and it will cut as good as D-7s. About 20 years ago Sandvik bought Bahco, an european handtool manufacturer (which in turn had owned the Berg chisel line), and about 10 years later divested the combined business to Snap-on and the european operation may still be a subsidiary of Snap-on. Bahco still sells some Sandvik branded saws, but of the hardened teeth variety, like Irwin sells at HD or Lowes. They are not into any premium product in the saw line.

So figure your saw is between 10 and 20 years old, the last of the Sandvik breed. Great price.

John M Bailey
05-20-2009, 4:43 PM
Thanks for the replies.
The saw has some use, but is still very sharp. The teeth are perfectly set, it will just about cut without effort.

george wilson
05-20-2009, 5:29 PM
I had one of those.It had a convex curve to the cutting edge,which was present on 18th.C. saws,but is now not seen anymore.

Stephen Shepherd
05-20-2009, 8:02 PM
I think breasted saws have been around forever.

Stephen