PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes in New Jersey

Prashun Patel
05-19-2009, 10:06 PM
For those of you tomato planters in NJ, is it too early to get em in the ground? Conventional wisdom says Mother's Day, but it's been a might chilly Spring round these parts....

Got my seedlings today, and not sure if I should pot them for a week or two more....

John Fricke
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm not in NJ.....but you are good to go as soon as last frost of the season has passed........When you can accurately predict that........Channel 7 needs an accurate weatherman.

David G Baker
05-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Memorial Day is the normal date that you should be able to start planting and not worry about frost in my area of Michigan, but with all the weird weather we have been having the past few years prepare yourself to cover your crops and listen to the weatherman if you can find one that has at least a record of 60% accuracy. :D

Lee Mitchell
05-20-2009, 5:48 AM
Average last frost date here is April 10th. This morning it's 39 degrees. According to the weather folks, average low is supposed to be 57 for this date.

So much for global warming.......

Lee in NC

Kevin Arceneaux
05-20-2009, 8:04 AM
Got the 1st 2 off the vine yesterday. Have had green beans for weeks

Prashun Patel
05-20-2009, 8:07 AM

arggghhh.. I hate you :)

Nate Carey
05-20-2009, 8:15 AM

...Kevin, http://ts3.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=805964614962&id=24ce33106551678caadfe6495cbe2d3a...here I am tilling my garden last Sunday!

Kevin Arceneaux
05-20-2009, 9:18 AM
Wait - THERE'S MORE:

I am about to be overrun with squash.
The Banana Pepper has been going crazy for a couple of months
The jalapeno's and bell peppers have many little ones - thought the jalapeno's are almost ready
I already dug the tater's out
The Cucumber's are making a lot of little ones as is the eggplant
Thought the rain and little bit of hail beat my corn pretty good, all but 3 are standing back up.

Conrad Fiore
05-20-2009, 9:33 AM
Shawn,
My friends and I have had ours in the ground for at least two weeks now and doing well. That includes tomato, pepper and eggplant. Beans, Swiss chard and squash are all up. The other night when they called for possible frost, we covered our tomato plants, even though the temp. only made it down to 37 deg.
Put them in today and get the benefit of some of this sunshine that we been lacking for some time.

David G Baker
05-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Three days ago it was 26 degrees at 4 AM and my pole barn roof was white with frost.
Kevin A. gets his produce early cause he lives where it is hot and humid with hurricanes abound. Think I will stick with white outs, snow drifts and an occasional tornado. :D

Rob Cunningham
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I've had my tomato plants in the ground for 3 weeks. Everything looks good so far.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-20-2009, 2:39 PM
New Jersey's designated frost free day is May 15th. However, many folks plant May 1st and keep some tarps or blankets around just in case of a frost.

Interestingly, a couple of nights ago (May 18th to be exact), NJ had frost warnings for many western and southern counties.

Anyhow...Get those boys planted! The bacon and lettuce is a waitin'!

-Jeff :)

Burt Alcantara
05-20-2009, 4:42 PM
We lost the first plantings because of a frost. Luckly, I found some Brandywine and Celebrity plants -- big, bushy and strong. Into the ground they went. Hopefully, it will stay warm. All our other plants are doing great.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-20-2009, 6:07 PM
You are Good to go in NJ as of yesterday.

Jerome Hanby
05-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Not much help for NJ, But I've had tomatoes in containers (bought huge plants from Costco) for well over a month and am already getting a few tomatoes (not much larger than cherry tomatoes, that's what I get for buying unknown breed from Costco). Built a hanger and mounted four Talledaga plants in those topsy turvy bags, guess we'll see if that really works :D

John Terefenko
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM

But you do not have a Jersey tomato. Until you do then you are not tasting tomatos. Right Jersey guys!!!!!!:)

Conrad Fiore
05-21-2009, 2:00 PM
John has said it all. But our Jersey corn is second only to our tomatoes.

Kevin Arceneaux
05-21-2009, 4:17 PM
All those chemicals in the ground.

Jeffrey Makiel
05-21-2009, 7:01 PM
John has said it all. But our Jersey corn is second only to our tomatoes.

Cranberries are third, and strawberries are fourth!

-Jeff :)