PDA

View Full Version : Bowl stickers

John Fricke
05-19-2009, 9:13 PM
D & N Specialties (Nancy Laird) made these stickers for me. they are SWEEEET!!!! thanks Nancy. They are laser etched onto a sheet of self adhesive veneer.

Jim Kountz
05-19-2009, 9:55 PM
Now thats just too cool. Nancy there may some more business coming your way in interested!!

Toney Robertson
05-19-2009, 9:58 PM
Nancy did mine too.

She does NICE work.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
05-19-2009, 11:49 PM
That is to cool. I may have to give Nancy a holler.

Nancy Laird
05-20-2009, 4:28 PM
Now thats just too cool. Nancy there may some more business coming your way in interested!!

Of course I'm interested. These are fun to do and something that EVERY turner needs to put on his/her turnings. I've even made a few for those flatwork guys. Just contact me by e-mail or PM, and we're off and running!

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

Barry Stratton
05-21-2009, 4:44 PM
snip...... These are fun to do and something that EVERY turner needs to put on his/her turnings.

I agree these stickers look great and would be a nice touch to stick on the BOX or other packaging that the turning is placed inside....but on the turning itself:eek::eek::eek:....

Sorry, but I won't be putting a sticker on my turnings.......unless it's a Sponge Bob band aid!

Toney Robertson
05-21-2009, 4:57 PM
I agree these stickers look great and would be a nice touch to stick on the BOX or other packaging that the turning is placed inside....but on the turning itself:eek::eek::eek:....

Sorry, but I won't be putting a sticker on my turnings.......unless it's a Sponge Bob band aid!

Barry,

Would you please indulge me and tell me why?

You do sign your work don't you?

Toney

Nancy Laird
05-21-2009, 5:13 PM

Barry, I'd like to know too why you wouldn't put one on the turning. You DO sign your work, don't you? This is a signature sticker. They are made of 10-mil birch veneer, and most people who order the round ones use a Forstner bit to drill a space deep enough to put the decal flush with the surroundings.

If you sign your work at all, you should keep an open mind!

Keith Burns
05-21-2009, 5:13 PM
This is an interesting topic. First let me say that Nancy is a friend, has been in my shop and turned on my lathe, so I am not trying to take anything away from her. The medalions look great, fine work.

With that being said, I think it depends on the level you are trying to achieve. If you are only selling to the craft fair market they would probably be fine. However if you are trying to sell your work as art, to high end galleries and collectors I don't think they would work. Can you see a piece done by Binh Pho, David Ellsworth or any other high end artists with a sticker on their piece ? I don't think so.

Nancy Laird
05-21-2009, 5:18 PM
This is an interesting topic. First let me say that Nancy is a friend, has been in my shop and turned on my lathe, so I am not trying to take anything away from her. The medalions look great, fine work.

With that being said, I think it depends on the level you are trying to achieve. If you are only selling to the craft fair market they would probably be fine. However if you are trying to sell your work as art, to high end galleries and collectors I don't think they would work. Can you see a piece done by Binh Pho, David Ellsworth or any other high end artists with a sticker on their piece ? I don't think so.

Thanks, Keith, for calling me a friend. I missed the chance to get to Memphis in April.

Now....do Pho, Ellsworth, or other high-end artists sign their work? You do. Travis does. Dennis and Mark do. I would imagine that they all do. As I explained in the prior post, this is just another way of adding a signature--along with perhaps some contact information - phone number, e-mail address, website. The "stickers" are not stickers at all, but are engraved onto and cut from 10-mil birch self-stick veneer which has been pre-finished with a couple of coats of lacquer.

Boy, I didn't anticipate this much controversy over something as simple as a logo decal.:confused::(

Barry Stratton
05-21-2009, 5:36 PM
Keith summed it up better than I could.

I appreciate the work that goes into these and do respect your work Nancy. My mind is open. My opinion obviously differs though:D;)

John Fricke
05-21-2009, 5:43 PM
Nancy, I apologize for stirring up the controversy. However more posts keep the thread near the top and more people seeing your work. I would probably not choose to use one of these on a piece I anticapated ending up in an art gallery. That being said, I don't see that in my future anytime soon so I will gladly use them to promote my work and give admirers of my work a way to contact me.

As Nancy said if you use a 1 1/2" forstener bit carefully they are a smooth functional part of the bowl bottom. I could just sign the bottome but...1...My handwriting is awful.....and 2...If somebody in the future picks the piece up and admires it, they have no idea how to contact me.

Jeff Mohr
05-21-2009, 6:12 PM
I like them....heck, they are probably better than my work!!! ;) If I every become a Sam Maloof.....I'll just do what he does and woodburn the signature....but a sticker is fancy and will probably upgrade my stuff!

I might just have to drop you a line to see what they'd cost me.

Lee DeRaud
05-21-2009, 6:56 PM
I think I may see what the controversy is about.

I sign all my turnings (yes, with a laser, because I can). And I've also done that signature on a separate glued-into-recess medallion when the piece was too tall to fit in the laser.

But it's name and date only: I don't think contact info/URL/whatever belongs on the piece itself...just MHO, FWIW. (I don't have a logo, so I'm open on that.)

(I realize that the flatwork world has a different view on this, but their signatures are usually hidden away inside a drawer or on the bottom of a piece of furniture...it's not like people normally pick up chairs or tables to look at the bottom.)

Bill Mitchel
05-21-2009, 7:23 PM
Nancy

I can see were it would "cheapen" the piece if they were what I called stickers but they are wood veneer with an adhesive back. The fact that they are engraved and can be inlayed into the bottom change things.
The people that say they would not put a sticker on their piece is not fair to say. Of course most of us would not put a "sticker" the piece they worked very hard on but these look very nice.
I find it interesting that some people dont want a "engraved inlayed medallion" on their work but they won't hesitate to burn their name on the bottom. I tried that and it looked like my 6 year old did it. And no I am not saying everyone that burns their name it looks like a 6 year old did it, just mine.:) I think sometimes it inhances the piece.
And Keith, are most of us the level of Binh Pho, David Ellsworth or any other high end artist? I don't think so, and I don't think it would be marketed to them.

Just my .02

Keith Burns
05-21-2009, 8:48 PM
First to Nancy, I know you know that there was/is no insult to your work by my comments. It has it's place.

If I were an artist doing oil paintings would I put a sticker on the front like one of these, only to stand the chance of it peeling off in 10 years and becoming lost. Then no one would know who did it. All painters sign their work. Sculpters sign their work. Potters sign their work. Why, because their signature can't be removed. I don't want someone to ask one day who did that piece and not be able to find my name because it got lost. Another way to look at it is 20 years from now when one of my seven grandsons finds one of my pieces in a box in the attic, I would like for him to know that I did it.

Bill, you never know where you will end up. I know that I will never be a famous turner and make big bucks line some do, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Like all of life, you never know where the journey will take you.

John Fricke
05-21-2009, 9:15 PM
My BAD.........I started this whole silly mess by incorrectly calling a medallion a sticker. I was just trying to give Nancy recognition for a job very well done.

Don Eddard
05-21-2009, 9:18 PM
I tend to agree with Keith on this one. They are nicely done,as is Nancy's other work, and no fault to her for making them, but I don't think they enhance the quality of an art piece. They may enhance the marketing of craft items, but I don't see them as something to go on an art piece. FWIW, I feel the same way about non-adhesive wood medallions inlaid into the bottom of a piece.

Nancy Laird
05-21-2009, 9:29 PM
My BAD.........I started this whole silly mess by incorrectly calling a medallion a sticker. I was just trying to give Nancy recognition for a job very well done.

Thank you for the recognition, John. It is a silly mess--you know, if everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be driving around in Ford station wagons and eating chocolate ice cream. Or, as my dad used to say, "everybody to their own taste, said the old woman as she kissed the pig."

For what it's worth, I feel the very same way about putting these decals (or medallions) on ART pieces. These aren't meant for the ART market, they are meant for those who like to sign their work and whose signatures look like a 6-year-old's scribbles. If it makes a difference, I also make these for three VERY high-end furniture manufacturers here in New Mexico. Can you say $5,000 for a dining room table? (That doesn't include the chairs, the hutch, the buffet, the server, etc. That's for the TABLE.)

Ryan Baker
05-21-2009, 9:55 PM
Well, I think they are great Nancy. I don't think it cheapens the piece at all.

Bill Mitchel
05-21-2009, 9:56 PM
Keith

You make a good point about the signature. I was referring to inlaying it that way it would not peel off.
I would not trade anything in the world for my son to find one of my pieces later in life, I just hope it's one of my better ones:D I also would never want anyone to not try and do his or her best. That was not the intention of my post. Sorry, I got a little defensive (and it's not even mine);)

Bill

Nancy Laird
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Well, I think they are great Nancy. I don't think it cheapens the piece at all.

Thank you, Ryan. Now, how many do you want??????:D

Ryan Baker
05-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you, Ryan. Now, how many do you want??????:D

I might order some. I don't have a logo or anything like that, so I would have to think about what to put on it.

Curt Fuller
05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Whether you stick one on your turnings or not, I guess it's a matter of personal preference. But I gotta say that the idea of a wood veneer sticker is pretty neat. I didn't know you could do that.

Nancy Laird
05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
But I gotta say that the idea of a wood veneer sticker is pretty neat. I didn't know you could do that.

Curt, this PSA veneer will stick to just about everything. Most who use them inlay them into a hole made by a Forstner bit so they are just flush with the surface. Some people are even putting the year on them, so they'll know when the item was made. Gives somewhat of a record of progress in proficiency.

Lee DeRaud
05-23-2009, 1:40 AM
Curt, this PSA veneer will stick to just about everything.It's called "pressure-sensitive adhesive" for a reason: if you roll it down tight, it is not coming off.