PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable or Freud router?

Jason Hallowell
05-19-2009, 6:14 PM
I currently have 3 Porter Cable 690 routers, and one Porter Cable 893, but I would really like a router with more HP and variable speed for use with things like panel raising bits. I have been saving up for a PC 7518, as I've liked my PC routers so far, and I already have porter cable bushings, collets, baseplates etc.

Yesterday I stopped at the local woodcraft, and saw that the Freud 3 1/4 hp variable speed router is on sale for $150. At half the price, it sure is tempting to get the Freud today rather than continue saving for the PC.

Any advice? I'd especially like to hear from owners of the Freud about how well it performs, particularly in a table.

scott spencer
05-19-2009, 6:22 PM
For $150 I'd assume you're speaking about the Freud FT2200, the successor to the FT2000E. If so, $150 is a good price but not a great price. Mine was a work horse but I wouldn't put in the league of a PC7518. It has a rather small throat opening and won't pass 3" bits so you'll need to do some work arounds. It also has no real above table features. I've been happier with the Freud FT1700 and MW5625 in the router table than the FT2000, but if you're talking about the newer FT3000 with the above table features, $150 would be a real nice bargain.

Jason Hallowell
05-19-2009, 6:49 PM
For $150 I'd assume you're speaking about the Freud FT2200, the successor to the FT2000E. If so, $150 is a good price but not a great price. Mine was a work horse but I wouldn't put in the league of a PC7518. It has a rather small throat opening and won't pass 3" bits so you'll need to do some work arounds. It also has no real above table features. I've been happier with the Freud FT1700 and MW5625 in the router table than the FT2000, but if you're talking about the newer FT3000 with the above table features, $150 would be a real nice bargain.

Yep, it's the FT2200E. Thanks for the response, and I think that the small throat may be a deal breaker for me. Guess I'll keep saving up for the router I know I'll be happy with.

Andy Sowers
05-19-2009, 7:48 PM
Why not the Milwaukee 5625? I have one of those and really like it. If you are considering the venerable 7518, then you might want to consider this one also...

Jason Hallowell
05-19-2009, 8:32 PM
Why not the Milwaukee 5625? I have one of those and really like it. If you are considering the venerable 7518, then you might want to consider this one also...

I'm certainly not opposed to the Milwaukee, as it seems very comparable to the PC in every way including price. Being that I own several PC routers, I already have bushings, collets, wrenches, baseplates, etc. for the 7518, which causes me to lean in that direction.

Jason White
05-19-2009, 9:17 PM
The Freuds are GREAT in a table! They allow you do make above-the-table bit changes and have plenty of power.

Grab one while you still can! I have the 2-1/4HP machine in my table and love it.

Jason

I currently have 3 Porter Cable 690 routers, and one Porter Cable 893, but I would really like a router with more HP and variable speed for use with things like panel raising bits. I have been saving up for a PC 7518, as I've liked my PC routers so far, and I already have porter cable bushings, collets, baseplates etc.

Yesterday I stopped at the local woodcraft, and saw that the Freud 3 1/4 hp variable speed router is on sale for $150. At half the price, it sure is tempting to get the Freud today rather than continue saving for the PC.

Any advice? I'd especially like to hear from owners of the Freud about how well it performs, particularly in a table.

Dave Lehnert
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Yep, it's the FT2200E. Thanks for the response, and I think that the small throat may be a deal breaker for me. Guess I'll keep saving up for the router I know I'll be happy with.

The small throat is often said to be a problem but have owned my FT2000E for years and never been a problem. If using larger bits in a table the bit is mounted above the base anyway (as it's upside down in the table) You don't mount the bit then try to pass it through the base.